One week before and after your Birthday is still an appropriate time to keep celebrating, right? I’m trying to find any excuse to keep putting sprinkles on my food so I made these delicious and healthy Strawberry Pop Tarts! The recipe is simple with vegan and paleo options!
The filling is made using just a few ingredients to make a chia jam. I know jam can be a little intimidating to make but just trust me, this recipe is quick and easy!
How cute are these? They look like cartoon pop tarts. Hehe…
If you love this recipe, go a head and share it on Pinterest by using the Pinterest tab when hovering over the picture!
Healthy Pop Tarts with Strawberry Chia Filling!
- 1/2 c almond flour, finely ground
- 1/4 c tapioca flour
- 32g vanilla protein powder (I used PEScience Gourmet Vanilla 30% OFF code PBHCOCO)
- 2 tbsp. light butter or coconut oil, melted for vegan/paleo
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 c fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or agave
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 16g vanilla protein powder
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 tsp. beet root powder
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, stir together almond flour, tapioca flour and protein. Melt butter or coconut oil and stir into dry ingredients. Add almond milk and stir until a dough forms. Set dough a side while you make your filling.
- If using fresh strawberries, wash thoroughly before cutting off stems and chopping into small pieces. Add strawberries, syrup, water and lemon juice to a small frying pan and turn on medium heat. Once bubbles form, turn down heat to just a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 3-5 minutes or until strawberries are soft enough to smash with a spatula.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds. Let sit while you prepare your pop tarts.
- Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut dough into 2x2 inch squares and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough until all dough has been used. Recipe will make 10 squares. Add 1 tablespoon of filling into the center of 5 of the squares. Place the remaining squares on top of the filling. Use a fork to crimp the edges together and poke holes in the top so the heat can escape. Bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Once cooled, mix frosting ingredients together and glaze pop tarts. Decorate with sprinkles and enjoy!
You can reduce calories by using Sugar-Free Maple Syrup instead of 100% pure maple syrup.