Soft and chewy chocolate gingerbread cut out cookies drizzled with a simple sweet icing. These cookies are perfect if you are looking for a healthy cut out cookie to decorate that’s also gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free! Triple threat cookies right here!
I LOVE (I mean that’s no secret) chocolate and I also really adore gingerbread so I had this great idea to combine the two flavors. And I am so glad I did. Who knew that gingerbread cookies are a hundred times better with chocolate! I am really hoping you guys try this recipe out because it’s quickly becoming one of my favorites.
What’s in these chocolate gingerbread cookies…
Well, I have a confession to make. I did not use the spices that are usually called for in gingerbread cookies. I’m not a big fan of the spicy flavors of traditional gingerbread cookies and when I decided to make these chocolate-gingerbread cookies, I decided to just add the molasses and omit the rest. If you love the spicy flavors, definitely add them into your cookies!
- gluten free baking flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder (and maybe a hint of special dark if you have it on hand)
- almond flour
- granulated erythritol
- granulated brown sugar erythritol (can sub for all regular granulated erythritol)
- soft coconut oil
- vanilla extract, water, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- powdered erythritol
- almond milk
Chocolate lovers unite! I have more delicious chocolate filled recipes that I know you will love and to help you get through this holiday baking season! Like this Dark Chocolate Cream Pie with Torched Meringue made gluten free or this Healthy Chocolate Marble Banana Bread!
If you love this recipe, be sure to leave a comment here on the blog or reach out to me on Instagram. I love hearing from you! xx
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 1/4 c gluten free baking flour
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 c almond flour finely ground
- 1/4 c granulated erythritol Swerve
- 1/4 c brown sugar granulated erythritol Swerve, *can sub for all regular granulated erythritol
- 1/4 c coconut oil soft
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt optional
- 1/2 c powdered erythritol Swerve
- 4-6 tsp almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.In a bowl, stir together the flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.In another bowl, beat the soft coconut oil and granulated erythritols using a hand held mixer until well combined. Add in the vanilla and molasses and continue mixing until incorporated. Finally add in the water and the egg and mix just until combined. Add your dry ingredients to your wet and mix until a dough forms. Separate the dough into two evenly sized discs and place them between two pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it’s about 1/8 inch in thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Carefully place the cookies on the baking sheet using a spatula. Bake cookies for 5-6 minutes. Don’t over bake. Repeat until you have used all the dough.Once the cookies have cooled, stir together your icing ingredients until you have reached your desired icing consistency. Transfer to a piping bag and decorate cookies. I garnished my cookies with a sugar sprinkle. *sugar sprinkles are not sugar free so omit if you want a completely refined sugar free cookie.