Pop Tarts! Pop Tarts! Pop Tarts!
I had to say it three times because I am so excited to share these pop tarts with you for three reasons:
Because peanut butter.
Because high in protein.
Pop tarts were a popular after school snack in our household growing up and nothing makes me more nostalgic than eating a sugar filled treat from my childhood. Now that I’m older and a bit wiser, I’ve realized that snacking on store bought pop tarts is not doing my health many favors. As delicious and flaky as those boxed pop tarts are, I would pick a homemade and all natural high protein pop tart any day of the week.
Homemade pop tarts never disappoint but this is the first time I’ve made chocolate and peanut butter pop tarts with decadent fudge frosting and so for that reason alone they are just better. Because everything is better with chocolate. Am I right?
If you love to eat dessert for breakfast than these pop tarts are perfect for you. Sugar free and high in protein–that’s good enough for me to eat for any meal of the day!
I like to think I’m an artist and that’s why everything I bake tastes absolutely amazing but really PEScience Select protein powders (you have probably noticed that I use this product in just about every recipe) just has the most incredible flavors and baking with a quality protein powder will always produce the best results.
- 1/2 c + 1 tbsp. oat flour
- 1/4 c brown rice flour
- 2 tbp. almond flour
- 16g protein powder (I used PEScience Peanut Butter Cup 30% off using code PBCHOCO)
- 3 tbsp. all natural sugar free maple syrup (agave or brown rice syrup will also work)
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp. earth balance buttery spread, room temp (can be replaced with coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (I used special dark)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch stevia
- 16g protein powder (I used PEScience Peanut Butter Cup)
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter (I used Nuts 'N More)
- 3 tbsp. all natural sugar free maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. coconut oil, melted
- chocolate sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 325f and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, mix together 1/2 c oat flour, brown rice flour, almond flour, protein powder, cocoa powder and stevia.
- Mix in the maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla extract and buttery spread until a dough forms.
- Fold in 1 tbsp. oat flour.
- Roll the dough into a ball and using a rolling pin, roll it flat between two pieces of parchment paper until about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut dough into rectangles, about 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches. Reroll scraps and repeat until you have used all the dough.
- Place all of your rectangle pieces on the prepared parchment paper while your prepare your filling.
- Mix together the peanut butter and protein powder until smooth.
- Place a heaping tablespoon onto the center of 3 of your rectangles. Cover with remaining rectangles and use a fork to press all sides together.
- Brush entire pop tart with egg wash (1 egg, whisked).
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Let cool completely before mixing your frosting together and decorating and topping with sprinkles.
For vegan use a super food protein blend and omit egg wash.
If you love this recipe, don’t forget to save it on Pinterest!