Easy healthy marshmallow stars are homemade, gluten free and refined sugar free! Drizzled with chocolate and finished with sprinkles. These healthy marshmallow stars are perfect for any celebration!
Happy first day of the new year! I hope everyone had a safe and fun New Year’s Eve! If you saw my post yesterday then you already know that I was cuddled up in my bed watching Netflix and snacking on edible cookie dough. Which by the way is vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free and can get the recipe for yourself HERE!
What you need to make healthy marshmallow stars
These delicious homemade marshmallows are made without using high fructose corn syrup making and they come together in just 10 minutes. I allowed mine to sit overnight so keep in mind you will want 8+ hours of time to make these before they are ready to be served.
Below are the ingredients I used to make these pillow-soft marshmallow stars. As always, if you have any questions on substitutions or directions, don’t hesitate to leave me a comment and respond as soon as I can.
- gelatin, unflavored
- agave or honey or maple
- sugar free and dairy free chocolate chips or regular if that’s what you fancy
- tapioca starch/flour for dusting
- sprinkles* optional
- star shaped cookie cutters or just cut into squares – your choice!
Chocolate lovers unite! I have more delicious chocolate filled recipes that I know you will love and to help you get through the new year like a champ! I listed some of my favorites from 2018 here: Dark Chocolate Cream Pie with Torched Meringue made gluten free or this Healthy Chocolate Marble Banana Bread!
Healthy Homemade Marshmallow Stars
- 2 tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup agave
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup sugar free chocolate chips Lily’s
- sprinkles gluten free if necessary
- Prepare a 9×12 inch baking sheet with non-stick spray and parchment paper for easy removal. Be sure the parchment goes all sides (so it’s just slightly bigger than the sheet). Dust the parchment paper with tapioca starch and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand alone mixer with a whisk attachment OR in a large glass mixing bowl if you using a handheld mixer, place the gelatin and water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the agave into a sauce pan and turn on high heat. Stir until the agave is at a rapid boil or using a candy thermometer it reaches 240 F. Remove from heat and pour the hot agave into the bowl with the gelatin mixture. Beat on high until fluffy and glossy. The mixture should form stiff peaks. Add in the vanilla and mix until combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking sheet, spread using a rubber spatula and let sit at room temperature for 8+ hours. I let mine sit overnight.
- Once they have set up overnight, dust with tapioca starch and turn it out on a tapioca starch dusted surface. Toss your star cookie cutters in starch and cut out shapes. If you prefer, you can just use a knife and cut out squares. *For remaining marshmallow after cutting out shapes, place in an airtight container to snack on later
- Melt chocolate and place in piping bag. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the starts and finish with sprinkles if desired. Let the chocolate set at room temperature.