Moist, fluffy and bursting with orange and poppy seeds in every bite! These vegan orange and poppy seed muffins make the perfect snack or breakfast when you are on-the-go!
Sweetened with cane sugar, this recipe utilizes all the traditional pantry staples when it comes to muffin making, all while being vegan. This recipe will quickly convert any non-believer that vegan desserts are just as delicious as their dairy filled counterparts.
I was inspired by my Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe to bake you this dairy-free and vegan bakery style version.
You are going to love them!
Ingredients You Will Need
- all purpose flour
- organic cane sugar
- baking soda, baking powder & salt
- vegan butter
- almond milk or plant milk
- white distilled vinegar
- vanilla extract
- fresh oranges
- poppy seeds
How to make Orange Poppy Seed Muffins
These fluffy little orange poppy seed muffins are so simple to make so grab some mixing bowls and a whisk and let’s get baking!
First, start by stirring together the dry ingredients.
Next, whisk together all the wet ingredients until well blended. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until a batter forms. It’s okay if there’s still some streaks of flour. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes while you preheat your oven to 425 F.
Line a cupcake pan with 10 liners and use a cookie scoop to drop batter into each liner filling them to the top. Bake the muffins for 8 minutes, while the muffins are still in the oven, reduce the heat to 350 F and continue baking for an additional 8-12 minutes and golden brown. When a toothpick is inserted into the center, it should come out clean.
Let cool and serve! THAT’S IT!
If you love muffins, then you are in luck because I have a ton of vegan muffin recipes on the blog. Here’s a few of my favorites:
Vegan Orange and Poppy Seed Muffins
- Mixing bowls
- muffin or cupcake pan
- muffin liners
- ¾ cup almond milk or plant milk
- ½ cup vegan butter or margarine melted
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice about 1 large orange
- zest 1 orange
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract can omit
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Combine the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and use a rubber spatula to combine leaving small bits of flour streaks. Cover the bowl and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425℉ and prep a standard muffin pan with 6 liners (every other cavity). Fill the liners to the top using a cookie scooper. Bake the muffins for 8 minutes and then without removing the muffins from the oven reduce the temperature to 350℉ and continue to bake the muffins for an additional 8-12 minutes and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. *Make sure to increase the temperature back to 425℉ before adding the second batch into the oven.
- Let your muffins cool for 20 minutes before serving.