The most delicious vegan Strawberry Shortcake Muffins topped with strawberry streusel and bursting with fresh strawberries. Just in time for strawberry season to kick into high gear, these muffins make a great breakfast, snack or late night dessert.
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Muffins
Fluffy, moist, vegan strawberry shortcake muffins are even more delicious than they are beautiful. These muffins also happen to be super easy to make in just a few steps.
Step 1: Mix together the streusel topping and then place it in the freezer to chill while you prepare your other ingredients
Step 2: Next, mix together the dry ingredients for the muffins in a large bowl and the wet ingredients into a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until the batter starts to come together. It’s okay if there’s still some dry streaks.
Step 3: Use an immersion blender to puree half half of the strawberries and then add the puree and the remaining chunks to the batter. Stir until incorporated.
Step 4: For larger muffin tops, use a cookie scoop to fill 6 stand muffin liners. They will be pretty full as you can see below. For small muffins, fill 8 standard muffin liners. Top the batter with streusel and bake!
Pro Tip: to keep the streusel from browning, remove the muffins from the oven after 5 minutes, over with tin foil and return to continue baking.
Can’t get enough strawberry recipes? I hear ya! Check out some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
Strawberry Cookie Bars Vegan Gluten Free
Strawberry Shortcake Popsicles
Easy Strawberry Popsicles Covered in Chocolate
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan strawberry shortcake muffins and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Muffins
- Muffin Pan
- ⅓ cup organic sugar
- ⅓ cup organic all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 2 tbsp crushed freeze dried strawberries
- 1 cup organic all purpose flour
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch finely ground sea salt
- ½ cup almond milk or plant milk of choice
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries fresh
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and prepare a standard size muffin pan with 6 liners and then set it aside.
- For the streusel, in a bowl, stir together the flour and sugar and use a fork to stir in the melted butter until crumbles form. Add in the freeze dried strawberries and stir until evenly distributed. Place in the freezer until ready to use.
- For the muffins, in a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and then set it aside. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, vegan butter, lemon juice, vinegar and vanilla until well comined.
- Remove stems of the strawberries and chop them into small peices. Separate half of the strawberries and then blend the other half using an immersion blender (or regular blender).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until the batter starts to come together, it's okay if there's still a few dry streaks.
- Add in the strawberries and the strawberry sauce and stir until incorporated.
- Use a cookie scooper to batter into the cavities of the muffin tin. They will fill up exactly 6.
- Top each one with crumbles (be generous). You will more than likely have extra crumbles, save those! Place the muffin try on a larger baking sheet and bake the muffins for 7 minutes, remove from the oven and then add the remaining crumbles. Create a "tent" for the muffins using a large peice of tinfoil to keep the crumbles from burning and then return to the over for an additional 15-20 minutes and a tootpick comes out clean.
Could I use mashed banana in place of the applesauce?
[…] Strawberry Shortcake Muffins […]
[…] Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Muffins […]