Classic Butter Pecan Cookies cookies made gluten free and vegan. Toasted pecans rolled in powdered sugar make for the best melt in your mouth cookies. These gluten free vegan snowball cookies are the perfect addition to any cookie box or holiday party.
Adapted from Taste of Home Pecan Meltaways Recipe
BUTTERY PECAN VEGAN SNOWBALL COOKIES
These cookies are also called wedding cookies or beltways because they literally melt in your mouth with every bite.
Simple ingredients and easy substitutions–the perfect addition to any cookie box!
The round cookies are rolled in powdered sugar, so they sort of resemble snowballs and made up of butter, flour, powdered sugar, salt, extracts and chopped nuts.
Once the cookies come out of the oven, let them cool for five minutes and then roll them in the powdered sugar while they are still warm. Once they have cooled completely, roll them in powdered sugar one more time.
You can use any brand of all purpose gluten free baking flour or even regular all purpose flour if not gluten free.
You can sub the pecans for walnuts, pistachios or even mini chocolate chips.
SHARING ALL MY FAVORITE COOKIE RECIPES!
I think it’s safe to say that the holidays are a popular time of year for baking, especially cookies!
And if you are anything like me and can’t get enough holiday cookies, my Holiday Vegan Cookie Box makes a perfect gift for friends and loved ones.
Want more gluten free recipes like these vegan snowball cookies? Here are a few of my favorites!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan snowball cookies and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you may have.
Vegan Snowball Cookies
- stand alone mixer or hand mixer
- baking sheet
- 1 cup vegan butter room temperature
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar plus more for rolling
- ½ tsp almond extract can sub for all vanilla extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free baking flour 1:1
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup toasted pecans chopped
- Using a stand alone mixer or hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add in the extracts. Finally add in the flour and salt and mix until a dough forms. Fold in the pecans.
- The dough will be slightly sticky. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 F° and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and use a 1 ½ inch cookie scooper to make 20 evenly sized dough balls. Place the balls onto the baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes on a cooling rack. Once cooled, roll in powdered sugar and return to finish cooling completely. Once cooled entirely, roll in powdered sugar one more time before serving.