Gluten free shortbread cookies topped with peppermint marshmallows and covered in chocolate will be the show stopping cookie at this year’s holiday party. Gluten free and dairy free Christmas cookies!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Taylor and Colledge and always, all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate possible.
What you need to bake these gluten free shortbread peppermint marshmallow cookies
It’s no secret that I love cookies (especially ones dipped in chocolate) so this month has been full of late night cookie sessions and this one is by far my favorite.
The first layer is a melt in your mouth shortbread cookie made using an all purpose baking flour, vegan butter, powdered sugar and vanilla bean paste.
Atop these cookies are perfectly piped peppermint marshmallows whipped up using gelatin, agave, peppermint paste and salt. And then finally these cookies are coated in decadent chocolate finished with crushed candy canes for the perfect holiday cookie!
Baking with Peppermint Paste
I used Taylor & Colledge Peppermint Paste for the marshmallows in these gluten free shortbread cookies and it really elevates the flavor without an overwhelming peppermint taste that traditional peppermint oil or extracts brings.
The peppermint paste is free of artificial preservatives. To use this paste, simply use a 1/2 teaspoon for every 1 teaspoon of traditional extract and adjust to taste. It’s absolutely delicious so I like to use a little more than recipes call for.
can’t get enough holiday recipes?
I hear ya! check out the most popular gluten free recipes on the blog! Here are a few of my favorites:
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some gluten free shortbread cookies and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Peppermint Marshmallow Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or regular butter if not dairy free room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Taylor & Colledge Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unflavored gelatin two packets
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 cup agave
- 1 1/2 tsp Taylor & Colledge Peppermint Paste
- 4oz dairy free dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- crushed candy canes for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and then set them aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy using a handheld mixer. Add in the vanilla paste and continue mixing until incorporated. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy. Finally add in the flour and salt and continue to mix until a dough forms. Roll the dough on a clean surface until it's roughly 1/4 inch in thickness. Use a round linzer cookie cutter to make 30 evenly sized cookies. Transfer the cookies to the baking sheets and place them at least one inch apart. Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes and then let them cool completely.
- Before starting the marshmallow, have one large piping bag fitted with a large round tip and set it aside. In a bowl of a stand alone mixer, stir together the gelatin and water and then let it sit for 5 minutes. Place the agave into a small pot over high heat and bring to it a rapid boil. Once it's boiling, remove it from the heat and pour it into the mixer with the gelatin. Use a whisk attachment to beat the mixture on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Increase speed to high and mix until the mixture is white and glossy. At this point, add in the peppermint paste and continue whipping the marshmallow until it begins to cool, 5-10 minutes. You will know when it's ready when stiff peaks form. You will need to work quickly now. Transfer the marshmallow the piping bag and pipe the marshmallow onto each cookie. Let them sit at room temperature for at least an hour.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a microwave safe bowl in 15 second increments, stirring between each until smooth. Spoon the chocolate over each marshmallow until covered. Sprinkle with candy cane peices and chill until chocolate is solid.
Subscribe to get the free eBook now!