Gluten free shortbread cookies topped with peppermint marshmallows and covered in chocolate will be the show stopping cookie at this year’s holiday party. Gluten free and dairy free Christmas cookies!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Taylor and Colledge and always, all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate possible.
What you need to bake these gluten free shortbread peppermint marshmallow cookies
It’s no secret that I love cookies (especially ones dipped in chocolate) so this month has been full of late night cookie sessions and this one is by far my favorite.
The first layer is a melt in your mouth shortbread cookie made using an all purpose baking flour, vegan butter, powdered sugar and vanilla bean paste.
Atop these cookies are perfectly piped peppermint marshmallows whipped up using gelatin, agave, peppermint paste and salt. And then finally these cookies are coated in decadent chocolate finished with crushed candy canes for the perfect holiday cookie!
Baking with Peppermint Paste
I used Taylor & Colledge Peppermint Paste for the marshmallows in these gluten free shortbread cookies and it really elevates the flavor without an overwhelming peppermint taste that traditional peppermint oil or extracts brings.
The peppermint paste is free of artificial preservatives. To use this paste, simply use a 1/2 teaspoon for every 1 teaspoon of traditional extract and adjust to taste. It’s absolutely delicious so I like to use a little more than recipes call for.
can’t get enough holiday recipes?
I hear ya! check out the most popular gluten free recipes on the blog! Here are a few of my favorites:
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some gluten free shortbread cookies and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Lavender Shortbread Cookies
Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour 1:1
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dried edible lavender
- 2 tbsp freeze-dried strawberries in powdered form blended
- 3-5 tbsp almond milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and then set them aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy using a handheld mixer. Add in he powdered sugar and mix until combined and then mix in the vanilla bean paste. Next, mix in the flour and salt until a dough until crumbles start to form. The dough should stick together when pressed between your fingers. Add in the lavender and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Roll the dough on a clean and floured surface until it's roughly 1/8 inch in thickness. Use a round cookie cutter to cut out shapes until you have used all the dough. Mine made roughly 20 cookies. Transfer the cookies to the baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes and the edges begin to golden. Remove and let the cookies cool completely.
- In a bowl, whisk together sifted powdered sugar, strawberry powder, and 3-5 tablespoons of almond milk. You want your glaze to be thin enough to dip the cookie but thick enough that it stays on the cookie in a thick layer. Once all the cookies are dipped, top with more lavender if desired and let the glaze set, about 20 minutes before serving.
Subscribe to get the free eBook now!