Classic cookies with a vegan and gluten free twist. Shortbread cookies filled with decadent chocolate and topped with peppermint pieces for just right ratio of peppermint to chocolate. These gluten free vegan chocolate peppermint thumbprint cookies make a perfect addition to your Christmas cookie box.
Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies are Gluten Free and Vegan
Can you believe these cute little cookies are totally gluten free and vegan all while still being full of holiday cheer!?
- How long does it take to make the cookies? These cookies need zero chill time and bake in just 12 minutes!
- How long will these cookies stay good for? These cookies taste best if stored in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Can I use any brand of gluten free flour? Absolutely, but make sure your brand is an all purpose gluten free flour. You can’t use just almond flour or coconut flour, it must be an all purpose gluten free flour mix.
SHARING ALL MY FAVORITE COOKIE RECIPES!
I think it’s safe to say that the holidays are a popular time of year for baking, especially cookies!
So I thought sharing some of my favorite holiday inspired cookies recipes would be appropriate.
I know you will love them as much as I do!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some chocolate peppermint thumbprint cookies and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you may have.
Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
- stand alone mixer or hand mixer
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp vegan butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp peppermint candy pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the vegan butter and powdered sugar into the bowl of a stand alone mixer or a large mixing bowl if using a handheld mixer. Beat the butter and powdered sugar together until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined. Mix in the flour and sea salt until a dough forms.
- Seaparte the dough into 14 evenly sized balls and place them on the baking sheets about 1 -2 inches apart. They won't spread. Use the back of a teaspoon sized measuring spoon to press the balls down and make an indent in the center. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
- Once cooled, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a heat proof bowl over a small pot of simmering water. Stir the chocolate every so often until completely melted and then remove it from the heat.
- Fill the cavities of the cookies with chocolate. Let them cool at room temperature for 10-15 mintues before topping with peppermint candies to ensure the candies won't sink into the chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to continue to cool at room temperature until solid, about 1 hour.