Gluten free sweet potato Mac and cheese is the dinner (or lunch…or side dish) recipe you never knew you needed! Mac and cheese in all it’s cheesy-pasta goodness without the gluten! YAY!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Mahon Menorca Cheese. As always, all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for your support in helping to make Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate possible!
I’ve mentioned it before but I’m not completely gluten free, diary free or anything free really. Except, pork…I don’t eat pork. Other than that, everything is pretty much game for me. When it’s available, I always choose the gluten free option just because I know it’s better on my digestive system. So when I saw gluten free pasta shells at the grocery store I knew exactly what I had to make! Mac & Cheese! A childhood classic that I absolutely can’t resist.
Gluten Free Mac and Cheese is one of few savory dishes on the blog
Savory dishes are a rare thing here on Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate but I’m hoping to make it a more regular thing in 2019! I’m thinking once every couple of weeks, I’ll post one of my go-to recipes like my Crispy Salmon and Broccolini Sheet Pan dinner or my Rosemary Chicken and Sweet Potato Wedge Sheet Pan dinner (I have a lot sheet pan recipes because… well, I’m lazy).
For this creamy Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese I used Mahon Menorca Cheese and it’s absolutely fantastic. This cheese is mild, slightly salty and has quickly become a favorite of mine!
Looking for more gluten free recipes? Checkout some my favorites, here on the blog! I have more delicious chocolate filled recipes that I know you will love. Like this Dark Chocolate Cream Pie with Torched Meringue made gluten free or this Healthy Chocolate Marble Banana Bread!
Sweet Potato Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed medium
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups gluten free pasta shells
- 2 cups Mahón-Menorca Cheese grated
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp gluten free baking flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper or tin foil. Toss the olive oil, cubed sweet potatoes and onion in a bowl. Transfer to the sheet pan and bake for 25 minutes. Stop about half way through and flip the sweet potatoes.Meanwhile, cook your pasta until al dente. While your pasta cooks, place the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the gluten free flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the milk and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the shredded cheese and stir until melted. Reduce heat to low and add in the spices, salt and pepper to taste. Drain pasta and add it to the cheese sauce. Finally add in the in the sweet potatoes and onion and stir until everything is well coated. Serve.
If you love this recipe, be sure to leave a comment here on the blog or reach out to me on Instagram. I love hearing from you and seeing all your creations!
Thank you! It really was amazing!