The very best gluten free peanut butter cookies with chewy centers and crispy edges. Gluten free and vegan, these cookies make a perfect snack or late night treat!
Inspired by my favorite Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips: soft and chewy cookies that are gluten free, vegan and bursting with chocolate chips.
I took the base of these cookies and added cane sugar so they would spread a bit more for a more traditional peanut butter cookie texture.
You’re going to love them!
how to make gluten free peanut butter cookies
Making gluten free peanut butter cookies is extremely simple and whether you are an avid baker or not, these cookies are an absolute no-fail! So here’s what you need to make these gluten free peanut butter cookies for yourself.
- flax meal – This acts as an egg replacer. If you are not vegan or have an egg allergy, you can sub 2 large eggs in place of the flax meal and water
- water – When mixed with the flax meal, they gel together to create a “flax egg” which makes a fantastic egg replacer in baked goods like cookies, brownies or bars.
- vegan butter – I used Earth Balance butter in stick form for easy measuring. You can use “real” butter if you desire.
- natural peanut butter – I used Justin’s Peanut Butter which ins’t drippy like most natural peanut butters
- brown sugar & cane sugar – these two together create a wonderful texture and flavor for the cookies
- gluten-free all-purpose baking flour – I used 1:1 from King Arthur
- vanilla extract, baking soda and salt.
Commonly Asked Questions
The trick to getting softly cookies is to not over bake them. It can be even more difficult to judge if peanut butter cookies are done but I like to err on the side of underbaked. The cookies will continue to cook for a few minutes after removing them from the oven. Do a cookie test in your oven one cookie at a time until you find the bake time that works best for you.
These cookies are best if stored in an airtight container and consumed within 3 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
If you love this recipe, you are going to love these peanut butter recipes
- No Bake Healthy Peanut Butter Bars
- Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- S’mores Peanut Butter Ice Box Cake
Classic Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- baking sheet
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 6 tbsp water
- ½ cup soften butter vegan
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter natural, no stir
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten free baking flour 1:1
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp finely ground salt
- Make the flax egg and preheat the oven: in a bowl stir together the flax and water and set aside to gel. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Make the cookie dough: In bowl of a stand alone mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars. Once light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, add in the peanut butter and combine. Add in the flax mixture and vanilla extract and combine. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and then add to the wet ingredients. Mix until no dry spots remain.
- Scoop and bake the cookies: Use 1.5" cookie scooper to make 24 evenly sized cookie dough balls. Place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 2-3" apart. Use a fork to press the cookies down while making a cross hatch indent into the cookies. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a cool rack to continue cooling.