Delicious and satisfying vegan chocolate cookies filled with creamy peanut butter! This perfect vegan recipe is a go-to when I need quick chocolate fix.
What you need to make these vegan chocolate cookies
You guys, these cookies come together really quickly and are gauranteed to satisfy all those chocolate cravings.
Soft. Chewy…kind of fudgy.
You are going to love them!
So here’s what you need:
- flax meal + water = flax egg
- all purpose flour (organic if possible)
- baking soda
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Sticks)
- brown sugar (organic if possible)
- granulated white sugar (organic if possible)
- vanilla extract
- peanut butter, natural creamy
- vegan chocolate chips and chocolate pieces
- flaked sea salt
Before starting, making sure you read the directions in full. The peanut butter is easier to work with if frozen but if you don’t have time to wait, skipping this step won’t change the cookie. When I was testing these cookies, I dropped dollops of the room temperature peanut butter mix over the tops of the cookie dough balls just before I placed them in the oven and it worked out just fine–just a bit messier.
want more vegan recipes?
Check out a few of my favorites:
- Almond Butter Chocolate Chips Cookies
- Chocolate Sweet Rolls
- Easy Cinnamon Rolls
- The Softest Sugar Cookies Ever
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a cookie or two and if you make them, or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram.
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
for the peanut butter
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter creamy
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
for the cookies
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips/chopped chocolate vegan
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter sticks
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- flaked sea salt optional
for the peanut butter
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the peanut butter and sugar until smooth. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and drop dollops of peanut butter about a half inch in size. Freeze for 1 hour or until solid.
for the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.In a small bowl, stir together the flax meal and water and set aside for at least five minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and baking soda until combined.In another bowl, use a handheld mixer (or you can use a stand alone mixer) to beat the room temperature butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth and creamy. Add in the flax egg and vanilla and continue mixing until incorporated. Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and stir until a dough forms.
- Use a 1 1/2 inch cookie scooper to make cookie balls and drop them on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Remove the peanut butter from the freezer and place a peanut butter dollop on the top of each cookie ball. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to continue cooling. Top with flaked sea salt before serving.
- *Note* For a more aesthetically pleasing cookie, add chopped chocolate or chocolate chips to the tops of the cookies as soon as you remove them from the oven.
want to learn how to turn your passion for food into a career?
I’m so excited to announce that I’m working on a free email course that’s all about food photography and exactly the steps you need to take to turn your love for food into a career. Sign up below to be the first to know when the course launches.