I added a little twist to my favorite boxed vanilla cake for the most dense and delicious dessert. This healthy banana cake topped with fresh strawberry sauce is made gluten free and dairy free and is perfect for Mother’s Day!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Simple Mills and as always all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for continuing to support the brands that help make Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate possible.
What you need to make this healthy banana cake
This healthy banana cake was made using Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix with a few add-ins and substitutions. I topped this tender and delicious cake with a homemade strawberry sauce and fresh banana which really pushed cake over the edge of absolute deliciousness!
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, this recipe would be a perfect brunch treat–I promise your Mom will love it!
What’s in Simple Mills cake mix? Glad you asked because I was so surprised to find out that it only has six simple ingredients: almond flour, organic coconut sugar, arrowroot, organic coconut flour, baking soda and salt!
So here’s what you need to make this cake…
- Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix
- mashed banana
- coconut oil
- almond milk
- vanilla extract
For the strawberry sauce
- lemon juice
- maple syrup
- tapioca flour or cornstarch
can’t get enough gluten free recipes?
I hear ya! This cake is quickly becoming a favorite and if you like this recipe then you will love some of these recipes.
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some strawberry topped banana cake and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Banana Cake with Strawberry Sauce
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced stems removed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup mashed banana about 2 bananas
- 2 eggs large at room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 package Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix
- Start by preparing your strawberry sauce. Combine the strawberries, lemon juice, maple syrup and tapioca starch in a medium pot and turn on medium-low heat. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the strawberry juices release and the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a loaf pan with non-stick spray. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add in the cake mix and stir until combined and no dry spots remain. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. *Cook time will vary depending on your oven and shape of your loaf pan*
- Let the cake cool completely before serving with fresh strawberry sauce and banana slices *optional*