Gluten free and dairy free upside down banana cake with a tender crumb and sweet brown sugar glaze. This recipe is perfect for a weekend baking project or late night snack!
What you need to make this upside down banana cake
This is my third cake post in a row and honestly I’m super proud of that because cakes are not the simplest of desserts to make. Luckily, this upside down banana cake is one of the easier ones to whip up and it takes under an hour from start to devour!
Get your bananas ready because this cake is
JUST ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!
So here’s what you need to make this gluten free cake…
- dairy free butter
- brown sugar
- all purpose gluten free baking flour (I recently discovered a new brand I’m obsessed with: Outrageous Baking)
- cane sugar
- baking soda
- coconut oil
- almond milk
- vanilla extract
- white vinegar
That’s all folks!
can’t get enough gluten free recipes?
I hear ya! This cake is quickly becoming a favorite and if you like this recipe then you will love some of these recipes.
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
Pre-Order my book – Vegan Chocolate Treats!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some banana cake and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Gluten Free and Dairy Free Banana Upside Down Cake
- 3-4 medium sized bananas sliced length wise
- 4 tbsp dairy free butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (Outrageous Baking)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 7×11 inch baking dish with non-stick spray and then set it aside.
- Place the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon into a small pot over medium heat. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes and the butter has completely melted and then pour the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange the banana slices in the dish (cut side down) and then set it aside.
- Prepare your cake by stirring together flour, sugar, baking soda and sea salt in a mixing bowl then set it aside. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, almond milk, vanilla and vinegar until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Pour the batter evenly over the bananas. Bake for 28-32 minutes and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before serving warm or let it cool completely and serve the cake at room temperature.