Sweet, soft and fluffy vegan wild lemon blueberry cinnamon rolls filled with brown sugar, cinnamon, wild blueberries and lemon citrus.
I took my favorite vegan cinnamon roll recipe and filled it with homemade wild blueberry sauce for a fun summer spin on a classic. BRING ON SUMMER!
What you need to make these cinnamon rolls
These lemon blueberry cinnamon rolls have a few steps but I promise you they are so simple to make.
First I made the blueberry sauce by placing all the ingredients into a pot over medium-low heat and simmering for 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, I prepped the dough and then I let it rest about 10-15 minutes also while the blueberry sauce cooled.
Next, I rolled out the dough and filled it with the sauce and cinnamon/sugar mix and then rolled it up! Finally, I let them rise for 30 minutes in a warm spot and doubled in size.
Here’s what you need to make these vegan wild lemon cinnamon rolls…
- frozen wild blueberries
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- corn starch
- all purpose flour, divided
- instant rise yeast
- cane sugar
- almond milk warm
- vegan butter melted
- vegan butter
- brown sugar
- powdered sugar
- almond milk
a few substitutions
Don’t have yeast? Try using this recipe which calls for a yeast-free (self rising) dough.
The almond milk can be substituted for any milk you desire.
Coconut sugar is a great alternative to refined brow sugar.
Don’t like blueberries? Try swapping out the blueberries for raspberries or blackberries.
can’t get enough brunch recipes?
I hear ya! This brunch recipe is quickly becoming one of my favorites and if you like this recipe then you will love some of these recipes.
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a cinnamon roll and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Wild Lemon Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls
Wild Lemon Blueberry Sauce
- 2 cups wild blueberries frozen
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 – 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour divided
- 1 packet instant rise yeast
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk warm
- 4 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan butter room temperature
- 4 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Wild Lemon Blueberry Sauce
- Place all the ingredients into a pot over medium-low heat and stir until everything is well combined. Let the mixutre simmer for 10-15 minutes. The blueberries will start to breakdown and the mixture will thicken.
- Meanwhile, add 2 cups of the flour, yeast, cane sugar and salt to a bowl of a mixer and combine using a whisk. Once combined, add in the melted butter and warm almond milk (should be warm to the touch but not scalding) and whisk until smooth. Attach a dough or hook attachment and turn on low speed. Slowly add the remaining flour until a dough starts to form and pull away from the edges (don't add more at this point and don't over mix). Cover the dough and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Dust a large piece of parchment paper with flour and roll out the dough into a large rectangle. For the filling, spread the room temperature butter in a thin layer over the dough leaving about a half inch around the edges. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon over the butter and then top with the blueberry sauce in an even layer. Tightly roll up the dough starting on the wider side. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 6 evenly sized pieces. Place the pieces into a baking dish prepared with parchment paper or non stick spray.Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm place. I like to turn my oven to 200 F and then turn it off and crack the door and let the rolls rise in there. After 30 minutes the rolls should double in size, turn the oven to 350 F and bake the rolls for 20-22 minutes.
- Once you pull the rolls from the oven, whisk together the powdered sugar and almond milk until you have a smooth glaze. Pour the glaze over the warm rolls.