Baked French Toast Casserole is fluffy, sweet and the perfect crowd pleasing dish–perfect for breakfast or brunch! This dairy free French toast recipe is made using almond milk, eggs and your favorite bread!
What you need to make this blueberry baked French toast casserole
I prepared this casserole the evening before and then popped it in the oven the next morning when I was ready to bake it and while the French toast was cooking I made fresh blueberry sauce.
The best thing about this recipe (besides that it’s super easy and delicious) is all the substitutions that you can make. I love using a crusty artisan bread for this casserole but ANY bread will work just make sure it’s not super fresh.
- bread (I prefer a crusty bread like Artisan)
- almond milk
- vanilla extract (I used a vanilla bourbon extract SO GOOD!)
- coconut sugar
- maple syrup
- lemon juice
Le Creuset gifted me this gorgeous cookware inspired by French design. I absolutely love all their products but these have a new special place in my heart.
A few substitutions
For the artisan bread you can substitute for any bread you like, just make sure it’s not super fresh (soft).
The almond milk can be substituted for any milk you desire.
Coconut sugar is a great alternative to refined sugar but brown sugar will also work.
Don’t like blueberries? Try swapping out the blueberries for raspberries or blackberries.
can’t get enough brunch recipes?
I hear ya! This brunch recipe is quickly becoming one of my favorites and if you like this recipe then you will love some of these recipes.
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some French toast and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Baked French Toast Casserole with Blueberry Sauce
- 15 oz artisan bread or crusty bread of choice
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and place them into a large mixing bowl and set it aside. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, coconut sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt and then pour over the bread. Use a large rubber spatula to toss the bread until all the pieces are evenly coated. Prepare your baking dish with non-stick spray and then transer all the soaked bread peices into the dish and then pour the remaining liquid over. Cover and chill overnight or for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes and golden brown. While the casserole is baking, place the blueberry sauce ingredients into a small pot over medium-low heat, stir and cook for 5-8 minutes. Pour sauce over hot casserole and serve.
Subscribe to get the free eBook now!