The Best Cherry Pie Recipe is made vegan, gluten free and sweetened with organic cane sugar. Just in time for warmer weather, this pie is perfect for bringing along on a picnic or enjoying outdoors–don’t forget the ice cream!
Sweet homemade cherry pie filling wrapped up with a gluten free golden crust, this pie will quickly convert any non-believer that vegan desserts are just as delicious as their dairy filled counterparts.
I was inspired by own Cherry Slab Pie to bring you this simple and delicious classic in a more traditional form.
How to make this cherry pie recipe
- all purpose gluten free baking flour – I use measure for measure
- vegan butter – I like to use vegan butter in stick for for easy measuring like Earth Balance or Flora
- organic cane sugar – you can omit for a more savory crust
- sea salt
- frozen cherries – I used tart cherries
- organic cane sugar
- corn starch – you could also use tapioca starch
- lemon juice – or lime juice
Other: almond milk or plant milk for brushing as “egg wash”
How to make gluten free pie crust
- The crust can be made up to three months prior and then frozen. I like to make it make 1-2 days before and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. Place your crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse until crumbles form.
- Turn out the crumbles onto a flour dusted work surface and kneed for 30 seconds and shape into two disks. Cover in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes before using.
- When ready to use, let the dough sit at room temperature. Dust a clean work surface with gluten free flour and then roll out the dough.
After serving, cover the pie and chill in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This cherry pie lasts up to five days when refrigerated.
If you love this cherry pie recipe, you will love some of these pie inspired recipes:
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some of this cherry pie recipe and if you make it or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
The Best Vegan Cherry Pie Recipe
- food processor or pastry cutter
- pie dish
- medium pot
gluten free pie crust
- 3 cups gluten free all purpose baking flour measure for measure
- 1 cup cold vegan butter chopped
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 6-8 tbsp cold water
- plant milk for brushing as "egg wash"
cherry pie filling
- 6 cups frozen cherries pitted
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- To make the crust, in a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly add in the cold water, pulse 2 or 3 times between each addition. The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for 30 seconds until the dough is smooth. Divide into 2 equal portions, and shape each into a disk. Wrap one of the disks in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.On a floured work surface, roll out the first dough disk until it's roughly ⅛ inch in thickness. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it on top of a pie dish. Gently press the dough into the bottom and sides of the dish, removing the overhang.
- To make the filling, add the cherries, sugar, lemon and corn starch to a heavy-bottom pot over medium heat. Cook until the cherries are tender and have released juices, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Roll out the second pie crust until it's roughly ⅛ inch in thickness and cut into 10-12 one-inch strips. Create a lattice crust over the top. Trim the overhang and use a fork to press the edges together. Brush the crust with plant milk ("egg wash") and bake the pie at 375 F° for 35-45 minutes and crust is golden brown. Let the pie cool at room temperature for 2 hours before slicing and serving.