Seriously delicious vegan banana cream pie is made with a wafer crust, easy homemade vegan vanilla pudding, and whipped cream, this banana cream pie recipe from scratch is pure heaven.
Cream pies are far more superior to fruit pies–don’t come after me. Not to mention, the crust is much easier to make.
Inspired by my dairy-free banana cream pie recipe, I used that recipe as a guide and made it 100x better. I’ve learned that using coconut milk over almond milk results in a more luscious pudding.
You are going to love it!
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS VEGAN BANANA CREAM PIE RECIPE
- vanilla wafer cookies – I found some vegan ones at Sprouts. You could also use graham crackers or whatever cookies you like. I’ve made this recipe using Simple Mills cookies for a gluten free and vegan option.
- vegan butter – I like to use Earth Balance because it’s already in stick form but if you are looking for a healthier alternative, Miyoko’s Cultered Vegan Butter is fantastic.
- coconut milk – make sure you get the full fat coconut milk from the can.
- organic cane sugar – you could also use coconut sugar but the color will change
- lemon juice – you just need a quick squeeze here
- cornstarch – I have tried this with tapioca flour and the pudding just doesn’t hold as well so I don’t recommend using it.
- vanilla extract or paste – don’t be shy, use a heaping tablespoon
- pinch salt
- vegan whipped topping – I used a 9oz tub but you could make your own by chilling a can of coconut cream overnight. Add the chilled cream to a mixer and beat until stiff peaks form. Add powered sugar if you want it sweeter. Chill until ready to use.
- bananas – can’t have banana cream pie without bananas. I like to use firm bananas, that will keep them from browning too fast.
I like to wait until I’m ready to serve the pie to put the bananas on top and that keeps them from turning brown.
This vegan banana cream pie will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
Make sure you cook your vanilla pudding until it’s thick and coats the back of spoon.
MORE BANANA RECIPES TO LOVE
Vegan Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- food processor
- small pot
- 2 cups cookies vegan and gluten free if necessary
- 3 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the cookies into a food processor and blend until fine crumbles form. Add in the melted butter and pulse until combined and the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Use a glass or measuring cup to press the crumbles into the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. Bake for 7-8 minutes and golden. Let cool.
- Place the coconut milk, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla into a pot over medium heat. Stir until smooth. Stir frequently until the mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the butter and salt and stir until melted and combined. Transfer the mixture to the pie crust. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, top with banana slices and vegan whipped topping.