Easy and delicious dairy free banana cream pie with a wafer cookie crust and layers of luscious homemade pudding and whipped topping. This pie makes a perfect summer treat that comes together quickly using simple ingredients!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Voortman Bakery and as always all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for helping to support the brands that make Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate possible.
how to make dairy free banana cream pie
- How long does it take? 25 minutes of hands on time
- How long will the pie stay good for? I recommend enjoying this pie within 1-2 days of baking. This pie is especially great for get togethers and barbecues.
- Can I use coconut whipped cream instead of store bought dairy free whipped topping? Absolutely!
My favorite part about this pie is the crust because it’s made with wafer cookies!!! Yes, you heard that right, this cream pie is crusted with sweet wafer cookies.
To make the crust, I placed the cookies and some coconut oil into my food processor and pulsed just until combined and pressed the mixture into my pie pan and baked it.
Then I made the filling by placing the almond milk (or dairy free milk of choice), corn starch, sugar and vanilla into a large bottom heavy pot and cooked it until it was thick while stirring continuously.
Once the filling was thick, I covered it with plastic wrap and then chilled it overnight in the refrigerator.
The next day, the filling had cooled and it was ready to be added to the pie crust but not before adding some banana slices to the bottom. After the filling, I topped the pie with dairy free whipped topping and some extra wafer cookie crumbles!
Voortman Bakery happens to make my favorite wafer cookies and they released a limited time S’mores wafer cookie and OMG! It’s absolutely delicious!
Voortman Bakery uses real ingredients, like whole grain oats, coconut, and almonds. Plus, there are no artificial colors, flavors, high-fructose corn syrup, or trans-fat in any of their cookies.
If you love this recipe, you are going to love this Upside Down Banana Cake Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
Or this Gluten Free Dairy Free Blueberry Muffin For One. Perfect summer recipes!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a slice of dairy free banana cream pie and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Dairy Free Banana Cream Pie
- 20 S'mores Wafer Cookies Voortman plus extra for topping
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 cups almond milk or dairy free milk of choice
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/3 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dash salt
- 9 oz dairy free whipped topping
- 2 bananas sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a pie pan or dish with non-stick spray. Place the cookies into a food processor and blend until fine crumbled form. Add in the coconut oil and pulse until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. I like to take the bottom of a glass and press it into the crust to pack it down tightly. Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and then lightly cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, you can start to prepare your filling. You will need at least 6 hours in advance for the filling to really cool and thicken. I like to make it the night before and let it set up overnight.
- Place the almond milk, corn starch and sugar into a pot and whisk until smooth. Turn on medium-high heat and using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir continuously until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook and stir until the filling thickens and coats the back of your spoon, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract and dash of salt. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Be sure the plastic wrap is touching the custard or it will create a film layer on top as it cools. Chill in the refrigerator 6 hours or overnight.
- Arrange the sliced banana in the bottom of the pie crust and fill with custard. Place your whipped topping in a pastry bag with a star tip attached and decorate the top of the pie. Top with more banana slices and cookie crumbles before serving.