Just in time for warmer weather, this simple cherry slab pie recipe is perfect for bringing along on a picnic. Sweet and simple cherry filling wrapped in a flaky homemade gluten-free crust.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Bonne Maman and as always all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for continuing to support the brands that help make Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate possible.
What makes this cherry slab pie so special?
Bonne Maman is one of my all time favorite brands and they make the best preserves, fruit spreads and curd so incorporating Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves into my super-easy cherry slab pie was a no-brainer.
Adding Bonne Maman Preserves to my pie adds an elevated flavor that you can taste, thanks to it being made with the finest, natural ingredients.
By mixing together Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves with frozen cherries, sugar and tapioca flour, I made the most incredible, yet simple, cherry pie filling–perfect for a non-traditional shaped pie like this one.
Can’t get enough recipes that complement the warmer weather? Same! Summer can’t get here fast enough, which is why you should be making some of my favorite lemon recipes:
Easy Vegan Lemon Muffins with Poppy Seeds
Lemon Curd Cake Vegan and Gluten Free
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a slice of this cherry slab pie and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you may have.
Happy Baking! xx
Gluten-Free Cherry Slab Pie
for the dough
- 6 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dairy-free butter (4 sticks), cold and chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½-⅔ cup cold water
for the filling
- 3 cups frozen cherries
- 3 tbsp. organic sugar
- 2 tbsp. tapioca flour (starch)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 jars Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten with 1 tbsp. water (egg wash)
- To make the dough, in a food processor, pulse together the flour, and salt until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly add in a ½ cup of cold water, pulse 2 or 3 times. The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky. If it is crumbly, add more water 1 tbsp. at a time, pulsing twice after each addition.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface, divide into 2 equal portions and shape each into a disk. Wrap the disks separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, add the cherries, sugar, vanilla and salt to a heavy-bottom pot over medium heat. Cook until the cherries are tender and have released juices. Stir in the tapioca flour and transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add in the two jars of Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 10×15-inch baking sheet with non-stick spray. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 of the dough disks into a 21×16-inch rectangle about ⅛ inch thick. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it on top of a baking sheet. Gently press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan. Lay a sheet of tin foil or parchment paper over the crust and fill with pie weights or rice and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove and let cool before removing the pie weights.
- Once cooled, transfer the filling to the crust and spread it out in an even layer. Roll out the second dough disk into a 12- x 16-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 7 (1 ½-inch-wide) strips, and arrange in a lattice pattern over filling in the crust. You can add braids with leftover dough if desired. Press dough strips to edges to adhere. Whisk together the egg wash and brush it over the strips. If desired, sprinkle dough strips with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the pie for 45-55 minutes until golden brown. Let the pie cool completely, about 2 hours before cutting and serving.
What size jars of the cherry preserves?
Hi, 13oz jars 🙂
[…] Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes Healthy […]
[…] They are so easy to make because I took components from some of my other pie recipes like this crowd pleasing cherry slab pie or my easy vegan pumpkin pie. If you are looking for more pies in bar form, you will love my vegan […]