Delicious and easy Vegan Brownie Thumbprint Cookies topped with cookie dough for the best of both worlds in one dessert. Chewy brownie cookies and edible cookie dough come together for a decadent gluten free and vegan treat.
Brownie Thumbprint Cookies are Gluten Free and Vegan
Can you believe these cute little cookies are totally gluten free and vegan all while still being full of holiday cheer!?
- How long does it take to make the cookies? These cookies need zero chill time and bake in just 12 minutes!
- How long will these cookies stay good for? These cookies taste best if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Can I use any brand of gluten free flour? Absolutely, but make sure your brand is an all purpose gluten free flour. You can’t use just almond flour or coconut flour, it must be an all purpose gluten free flour mix. All purpose flour will also work if you are not gluten free.
How to make vegan brownie cookie dough
- Mix together your flax egg and then set it aside to gel while you sift together the dry ingredients
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, vanilla and flax egg. Add in the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix until a dough comes together.
- Use a 1 1/2 inch cookie scooper to make 14 evenly sized balls.
- Bake! Right after you remove the cookies from the oven, use the back of a teaspoon to press the cookies down and make indents.
- Whip up your cookie dough frosting and fill your cookies!
Can’t get enough cookie dough recipes? I hear ya! Check out some of my cookie dough recipes on the blog:
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan brownie thumbprint cookies and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Brownie Thumbprint Cookie Filled with Cookie Dough
Brownie Thumbprint Cookie
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 3 tbsp water
- 1½ cup gluten-free baking flour 1:1
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup organic sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter melted
Cookie Dough Topping
- ½ tbsp flax meal
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- ¼ cup vegan butter softened
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all purpose gluten-free flour 1:1
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips vegan
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside. In a small bowl mix together the water and flax meal and then set that aside to gel.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. In another bowl melt the butter and then whisk in the sugar, vanilla and flax mixture until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and use a rubber spatula to stir until a dough forms.
- Use a 1 ½ tbsp cookie scooper to make 14 evenly sized balls and place them on the baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Just after you remove the cookies from the oven, use the back of a teaspoon to press the cookies down and make an indent. Let the cookies cool.
- Next, make your cookie dough frosting by sitrring together the flax and water just as you did before and then set it aside. In a bowl using a hand-held mixer, beat together the room temperature butter and sugars. Add in the vanilla and flax mixture and continue mixing until combined. Alternate adding in the flour and almond milk until a frosting forms. Stir in the chocolate chips and transfer the mixture to a piping bag or plastic zip bag with at least ½ inch opening. Fill the center of the cookies with cookie dough.