Just in time for Spring, these melt-in-your-mouth Strawberry Cookie Bars are everything you need to celebrate the new season. Layers of sugar cookie, fresh strawberry compote, cookie crumbles and sweet glaze, these bars make a great on the go snack or picnic dessert all while being gluten free, dairy free, egg free and vegan.
Vegan Strawberry Cookie Bars
Did anyone else grow up eating Pop-Tarts for breakfast? My favorite was always strawberry and I swear that these bars transport me back to that simpler time.
A swapped the pie crust for a sugar cookie (because hi, it’s me) and you still have similar pop-tart like taste but without all the fuss of making pastry dough. YAY!
These are so so easy to make:
- Make the compote (I promise it’s easier than you think!)
- Make the cookie crust
- Add the compote, top with crumbles and bake
- Drizzle with glaze and serve!
CAN YOU USE STORE BOUGHT STRAWBERRY COMPOTE?
It’s so easy to toss a pre-made jar of compote into your grocery cart, but nothing really compares to making fresh strawberry compote–I promise you, it’s easier than you think.
But if you have a jar you want to use up, store bought works just fine. 🙂
DO THESE STRAWBERRY COOKIE BARS NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
No, but keep them covered up to three days at room temp or in the fridge for five-seven days. They also could be kept in the freezer for up to three months.
Can’t get enough strawberry recipes? I hear ya! Check out some of my strawberry recipes on the blog:
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some strawberry cookie bars and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Strawberry Cookie Bars
- 2 cup strawberries chopped
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp corn starch or tapioca flour
Base and Topping
- 2 1/4 cup gluten free flour all purpose
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 3/4 cup cold vegan butter chopped
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 7×11 inch pan with parchment paper and non-stick spray and set it aside.
- Place the straweberries, maple and lemon juice into a bottom heavy pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and let cook for 10-15 minutes and juices are released. Use a potato masher to smash the berries. Stir in the cornstarch and continue to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- While the strawberries simmer, place the flour, sugar, butter and sea salt into a food processor and pulse until a dough forms. Remove 1/2 cup of dough and use your hands to break it into small crumbles. Place the crumbles into a bowl and chill until ready to use.
- Press the remaining dough into the bottom of the pan and press it down evenly. Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes and golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- Pour the strawberry compote over the crust and spread it out in an even layer.
- Top the compote with the reserved crumbles and bake for 20-25 minutes and the crumbles are golden. Let cool completely before stirring together the glaze ingredients and drizzling over the bars. Cut the bars into 12 squares and serve.