Transport back to your childhood with these easy-to-make vegan brown sugar pop-tarts made with delicious cinnamon brown sugar filling and wrapped up with a flaky gluten-free crust.
What’s in vegan brown sugar pop-tarts?
- Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour – 1:1 Bob’s Red Mill or Outrageous Baking are my favorite
- Vegan Butter, cold – I prefer Earth Balance
- Finely Ground Sea Salt
- Organic Light Brown Sugar – I love Big Country Foods
- Almond Milk for egg wash
- Organic Powdered Sugar – I used Big Country again!
To make the dough, in a food processor, pulse together the flour, and salt until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly add in cold water, pulse 2 or 3 times.
The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky. If it is crumbly, add more water 1 tbsp. at a time, pulsing twice after each addition. Turn the dough out onto a work surface, divide into 2 equal portions and shape each into a disk. Wrap the disks separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Can you pre-make the pie dough? Yes, you can make the dough up to 3 months in advance. Shape the dough into 2 flat discs and tightly wrap them in plastic wrap. Freeze and then let thaw when you are ready to use!
Are these brown sugar pop-tarts healthy? Compared to store bought pop-tarts, this home-made version most definitely more “healthy”. You know every single ingredients in these treats and there’s absolutely no preservatives.
You May Also Like
Looking for more pop-tart recipes? I gotcha covered! If you enjoyed these delicious vegan cinnamon pop-tarts, you are going to love some of these recipes:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Homemade Gluten-Free Pop-tarts
- Crowd Pleasing Cherry Slab Pie Made Gluten-Free
- Homemade Raspberry Chia Seed Pop-Tarts
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan brown sugar pop-tarts and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-tart
- food processor
- 3 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup vegan butter cold
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼-⅓ cup cold water
Brown Sugar Filling
- ⅓ cup organic brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp vegan butter melted
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar sifted
- 1 ½ tbsp almond milk or plant milk of choice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- To make the dough, in a food processor, pulse together the flour, and salt until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly add in a ½ cup of cold water, pulse 2 or 3 times. The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky. If it is crumbly, add more water 1 tbsp. at a time, pulsing twice after each addition.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, divide into 2 equal portions and shape each into a disk. Roll out the discs using a rolling pin until they are roughly 12×7". Cut each of them into 8 evenly sized rectangles. Place 8 of the rectangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- To make the filling, add the ingredients into a bowl and stir until combined. Place about one tablespoon of filling into the center of each rectangle on the baking sheet and spread it around leaving enough room around the edge to press the pop tarts together.
- Place the remaining rectangles on top of the filling topped rectangles and use a fork to press the edges together. Use a toothpick to poke a few holes in each pop tart — this allows for air to escape. Brush pop tarts with almond milk and bake them at 350 F for 25-35 minutes and the edges are golden brown.
- To make the glaze, place all the ingredients into a bowl and use a whisk to combine. You want your glaze to be a spreadable consistency but not dripping. You can add more almond milk if needed.
- Once your pop tarts cool, spoon glaze over the top of each. Let the glaze set for 20 minutes before serving.