When it comes to cookies, it’s hard to beat the classic chocolate chip. But what if you’re all out of brown sugar? Fear not, my fellow cookie lovers—there’s a way to make delicious chocolate chip cookies without it. In fact, I promise you won’t even miss it. These are the best chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar!
So grab your apron, preheat your oven, and let’s get baking!
These cookies were adapted from my favorite cookie recipe of all time: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies so it was a no brainer when I decided to give them a try without brown sugar.
They turned out amazing!
Chocolate Chip Cookies without Brown Sugar
With no chill time required, you are less than an hour away from fresh out of the oven cookie.
Here’s what you need to make them–
- ground flax meal – this acts as a binder for the cookies just as the egg would
- filtered water – once you mix the water with the flax meal they will gel together to become the “egg”
- vegan butter – I use stick form like Earth Balance
- organic cane sugar
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour – if you using gluten free all purpose baking flour, make sure it has a xanthan gum added to the flour mix
- corn starch or tapioca flour
- baking powder
- vegan chocolate – I like to use a variety of dark chocolate chips
- finely ground sea salt
Here’s how to make these chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar–
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F and in a small bowl, stir together the flax meal and water and then set it aside to gel, about five minutes.
- In another bowl, use a hand held mixer or a stand alone mixer to cream together the vegan butter and sugar. Add in the flax mixture and continue mixing until well combined and then mix in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until the dough comes together but a few bits of flour remain. Add in the chocolate and fold until combined.
- Separate the dough into 12 evenly sized balls and place them on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper about 2″ apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes and the edges are golden. Remove and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack to continue to cool.
How to store these chocolate chip cookies?
Once these cookies are baked, they keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days or they can be placed in an airtight freezer-friendly container and frozen for up 3 months.
What is the secret to making soft cookies?
My favorite kind of cookie is has soft centers and crispy edges and my secret is to remove them from the oven as soon as the center has set. They will continue to cook as they cool.
MORE EASY VEGAN RECIPES
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies without Brown Sugar
- Mixing bowls
- baking sheet
- 1 tbsp ground flax meal or 1 egg for non vegan
- 3 tbsp filtered water omit for non vegan
- ½ cup vegan butter room temperature
- ½ cup + 5 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch or tapioca flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp finely ground sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips vegan
- flaky sea salt
- Be sure your oven rack is centered in the oven, preheat to 350 F° and prepare two baking sheets with pachment paper.
- In a bowl, stir together the flax meal and water and then set it aside to gel, about five minutes. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter using a handheld mixer until light and fluffy and then add in the cane sugar and continue beating until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add in the flax mixture and vanilla and stir until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together the flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt and then add half of it to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms and no dry spots remain, about 30 seconds. Add in the chocolate chips and mix until combined and evenly distributed.
- Separate the dough into 12 evenly sized balls. Place the balls on the baking sheets about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes and edges are golden. Remove and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack to continue to cool.