The BEST small batch chocolate chip pecan cookies! Salty and sweet cookies loaded with crunchy pecans and bursting with chocolate chips all while being 100% vegan with a gluten free option.
With golden crispy edges and chewy centers, these chocolate chip pecans cookies will quickly convert any non-believer that vegan desserts are just as delicious as their dairy filled counterparts.
I adapted some of my own chocolate chip cookies to bring you this simple and delicious recipe with an added twist of crunchy pecans.
Let’s make chocolate chip pecan cookies!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- flax meal – when mixed with water, the flax meal will gel and this will act as your egg providing not just binding in the cookie but a boost of fiber as well!
- vegan butter – I like to use vegan butter in stick form when baking so brands such as Earth balance and Melt are best
- organic brown sugar and cane sugar – sugars provide not just the sweetness of the cookie but the overall texture as well – don’t make substitutions here if you want a classic cookie texture
- vanilla extract – vanilla will enhance the flavor of the cookie – the more the better in my opinion 😉
- flour – I used all purpose flour but you can also use a gluten free flour (measure for measure)
- baking soda – this acts as a leavening agent to help the cookies rise
- chocolate chips – I prefer dark chocolate but use whatever chocolate makes your heart sing
- pecans – I like to get fresh pecans from the farmers market if they are available but your favorite pecan brand will do!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN COOKIES
- Just like most cookies, your first step will be to cream together the butter and sugars. I like to place mine into a stand alone mixer using a paddle attachment and let it go to town for a few minutes but you can also use a handheld mixer. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the flax meal and water and then let it sit to gel.
- Once you have creamed together the butter and sugars and they have become pale in color-about 4 minutes-add in the flax mixture and beat until incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Spoon and level your flour to measure correctly and then add it into the butter mixture along with the baking soda and salt. Mix on a low speed just until the dough comes together and some streaks of flour are left. Add in the pecans and chocolate chips and continue mixing.
- Once everything is incorporated, use a 1 1/2 inch cookie scooper to make 12 evenly sized cookie dough balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake the chocolate chip pecan cookies at 350 F for 10-12 minutes.
Once they are baked and cooled, transfer them to an airtight container and store up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.
Absolutely! After making the cookie dough balls, place them into an airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. When you are ready to bake them, transfer them to a the fridge 24 hours prior to baking.
MORE EASY VEGAN RECIPES
No Bake Healthy Peanut Butter Bars
Whole What Vegan Raspberry Muffins
The Best Vegan Snowball Cookies
Small Batch Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- baking sheet
- 1 tbsp ground flax meal
- 3 tbsp filtered water
- 6 tbsp vegan butter room temperature
- ⅓ cup organic brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour or measure for measure gluten-free flour leveled and spooned
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp finely ground sea salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup chocolate chips vegan
- Be sure your oven rack is centered in the oven, preheat to 350 F° and prepare two baking sheets with pachment paper.
- In a bowl, stir together the flax meal and water and then set it aside to gel, about five minutes. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter using a handheld mixer until light and fluffy and then add in the brown sugar and cane sugar and continue beating until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add in the flax mixture and vanilla and stir until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and then add half of it to the butter mixture and mix until almond combined and some flour spots remain. Add in the chopped pecans and chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.
- Separate the dough into 12 evenly sized balls. Place the balls on the baking sheets about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes and the edges are golden. For softer cookies, bake for 10 minutes and crispier cookies, baking for 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack for before serving.