A classic banana bread taste with a rich cinnamon crumb topping makes for the ultimate healthy breakfast cake. This healthy coffee cake banana bread is made gluten-free, refined sugar-free and high in protein for a quick and easy snack.
how to make healthy coffee cake banana bread
This healthy banana bread is loaded with bananas, naturally sweetened with protein added for flavor and well, protein!
Easy to make.
Ingredients you need:
- bananas – I like my bananas extra ripe with lots of spots for the best and sweetest bread
- eggs – this helps to bind the ingredients together and keep the banana bread fluffy
- oat flour – I like to use a gluten-free brand
- vanilla protein powder – I prefer a dairy free or vegan protein powder but whey will also work
- almond milk – or milk of choice
- coconut oil – or neutral tasting oil of choice
- coconut sugar – I love using coconut sugar for flavor and sweetness but you can use any granulated sweetener that you want
- baking powder, baking soda and salt – these help with rise
- cinnamon – the cinnamon ties the flavors together
Commonly asked questions
What size pan do I need to make banana bread? I used a smaller 7×4 inch pan to make two small banana breads but a standard 9×13 will work for one loaf.
What are the health benefits of banana bread? Well this bread is packed with lots of protein not just from the eggs but from the added powder as well. Be sure you are checking the ingredients of your protein powder and using a good quality brand.
Can I make substitutions? Yes, for the oat flour, you can sub it for an all purpose gluten free baking flour but you cannot sub it for almond flour or coconut flour. For the coconut sugar, you can use Truvia or an organic cane sugar if desired.
What could be better than moist banana bread with cinnamon streusel topping made healthy? It’s so easy to make because I took components from some of my other banana bread recipes like this Gluten Free Bread Pumpkin Banana and my Paleo Banana Loaf with Espresso Frosting.
Healthy Coffee Cake Banana Bread
- Mixing bowls
- pastry cutter or fork
- rubber spatula
- 3 medium bananas overly ripe
- 3 eggs large
- ½ cup almond milk room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free oat flour
- 64 g vanilla protein powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- ¼ cup coconut oil solid
- ½ cup gluten-free oat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F° and prepare two small (7×4) or one 9×13" loaf pan with parchment paper and non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mashing the bananas and then whisk in the eggs, coconut sugar and milk until well combined and fluffy. Add in the coconut oil and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
- In another bowl, stir together the oat flour, protein, baking powder, baking soda and salt and then add it to the wet the ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to stir until combined and no dry spots remain.
- In another bowl, place all the streusel topping ingredients together and use a pastry cutter or a fork to combined. The texture should be similar to sand. Top the banana bread batter with the streusel and bake for 18-20 minutes if using the small loaf pans and 40-35 minutes if using the large loaf pan or until a toothpick when inserted come out clean.
- Let the banana bread cool completely before cutting into slices and serving.
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some healthy banana bread and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you may have.
[…] Healthy Coffee Cake Banana Bread […]
[…] Healthy Coffee Cake Banana Bread – A classic banana bread taste with a rich cinnamon crumb topping makes for the ultimate healthy breakfast cake. This healthy coffee cake is made gluten-free, refined sugar-free and high in protein for a quick and easy snack. […]
[…] Recipe here […]