This humming bird cake is exceptionally moist and naturally sweet from the bananas and pineapple. Most humming bird cakes I’ve seen are loaded up with pecans or walnuts but I opted out of using nuts and instead loaded mine with poppy seeds. Like traditional humming bird cake, I finished with a sweet layer of cream cheese frosting although mine is dairy-free and refined sugar-free!
As most of my readers already know, I am obsessed with banana bread so making a humming bird cake was a no brainer for me. And can you believe this is my very first of this kind of cake? I can’t believe I waited so long to make it because it’s literally the BEST cake I’ve ever had. If you love banana bread like I do, you will not be disappointed. Check out some of my other favorite banana containing recipes below!
- Life Changing Gluten Free Banana Bread – With this gluten free banana bread recipe, you’re only a few simple ingredients away from the best banana bread ever! It’s made using gluten free flour and sugar-free chocolate chunks for a delicious gluten-free and refined sugar-free treat.
- Healthy Banana Bread with Chia and Flax – A moist and tasty banana bread that’s made using chia seeds and flax meal! This super delicious bread makes for a perfectly healthy, gluten-free and refined sugar-free snack.
- Healthy Coffee Cake Banana Bread – A classic banana bread taste with a rich cinnamon crumb topping makes for the ultimate healthy breakfast cake. This healthy coffee cake is made gluten-free, refined sugar-free and high in protein for a quick and easy snack.
Healthy Humming Bird Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
*Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 bananas, very ripe
- 1/4 c granulated erythritol or maple syrup
- 1/4 c unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/4 c unsweetened pineapple juice, room temperature
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c gluten-free baking flour
- 1/4 c almond flour
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 8oz dairy-free cream cheese, Kite Hill
- 1/3 c dairy-free vanilla yogurt, Kite Hill
- 1 c confectioners Swerve
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare two 6 inch round pans with non-stick spray and parchment on the bottom.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana. Add in the eggs, applesauce, juice, coconut oil and granulated erythritol and beat using a handheld mixer until well combined.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely.
For the frosting
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat together the cream cheese and yogurt on high speed until fluffy. Add in the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Set the mixer on low speed and gradually add in the powdered sweetener, until you've added all of it and it's well combined. Return to high speed and beat for 2-3 minutes until the frosting is fluffy.
- Frost cake and sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.