Baked not fried, these cinnamon sugar pumpkin protein donuts are light, fluffy and loaded with pumpkin spice flavor. A perfect fall treat, these cinnamon sugar coated donuts are made gluten-free and high in protein.
I published this pumpkin donut recipe on my blog last Fall and they went viral; not just online but they were an absolute hit with my friends and family.
When I made these last year I frosted them with a maple protein frosting and OMG they were so good! Incase you would rather have a frosting than a cinnamon sugar coating on your donuts (both are absolutely amazing) you can get that recipe here.
Pumpkin Protein Donuts
Last year’s recipe was so good, I couldn’t imagine there was any way to make it better–so I didn’t. I remade the same recipe and decided to change the topping to a cinnamon sugar. You will love them both, I promise! But if you are looking for a completely refined sugar-free donut than I recommend the maple frosted donut or using one of the replacements provided in the recipe box.
My standard pumpkin donut recipe makes 6 donuts but as you can see, there’s a lot more donuts pictured. I doubled the recipe and made 12 and it worked out perfectly!
The actual protein donuts are made without using refined sugar or dairy, however, I coated them in real cane sugar using butter.
If you want a completely refined sugar-free donut, than replacing the cane sugar with coconut sugar or granulated erythritol (something like Swerve) will also work.
You can also replace the butter with melted coconut oil or even a light or vegan butter of choice. I love baking with granulated erythritol but find that it can sometimes have an overwhelming taste when used as a coating which is why I opted for granulated sugar cane–still much healthier than your average protein donuts.
If you love this recipe, be sure to leave a comment here on the blog or reach out to me on Instagram. I love hearing from you! xx
The Best Pumpkin Protein Donuts
- Mixing bowls
- donut pans
- ½ c brown rice flour or gluten free baking flour
- ¼ c almond flour
- 30g vanilla whey protein powder
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F° and prepare a standard donut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, almond milk and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, stir together the dry donut ingredients (flours, coconut sugar, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt) until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until no dry spots remain. Bake donuts for 10-12 minutes and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, melt the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Place the sugar and cinnamon into a shallow dish and stir until combined. Brush the butter or oil onto the tops of the donuts then dip each donut into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve.