Creamy, luscious, blackberry swirled homemade ice cream is made vegan and gluten free using coconut milk, maple syrup and non-dairy yogurt for the ultimate summer treat.
How to Make Vegan Blackberry Ice Cream
It’s time to bust out that ice cream maker because the summer weather is officially here (at least in the south) and it’s brutal out there that’s why my churn bowl will live in the freezer all summer so I’m always ready to make a fresh batch of ice cream.
Here’s how to make it:
TIP Place the churn bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer at least 24 hours before you are ready to make the ice cream to ensure it’s completely frozen.
Next, make your compote by placing all the ingredients into a small pot over medium heat until bubbles form and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and then remove from heat and let cool.
Once your churn bowl is completely frozen, stir together your ice cream ingredients, add them to the churn bowl let your ice cream maker do it’s thing. Mine takes about 15 minutes to get nice and thick. Once it’s ready, transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container and layer it with compote and graham cracker crumbs. Cover and freeze for at least three hours. If you freeze longer than that, you will need to let it defrost for a 10-15 minutes before serving.
Can’t get enough summer recipes? I hear ya! Check out some of my favorite perfect for summer recipes on the blog:
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan blackberry ice cream and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Blackberry Streusel Ice Cream
- ice cream maker
Ice Cream Base
- 13.5 oz coconut cream canned
- 13.5 oz full fat coconut milk canned
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-dairy vanilla yogurt
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup blackberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 gluten free graham crackers crushed
- TIP: 24 hours prior to making the ice cream, place the churning bowl from your ice cream maker into the freezer.
- Place all the ingredients for the compote (except the crackers) into a small pot over medium heat. Once the mixure starts to bubble, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, place all the ice cream ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth and then transfer to the ice cream maker and churn for 15 minutes or until thick and creamy like soft serve.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container while laying in the compote and graham cracker peices. Use a knife to swirl everything together. Freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Would honey work in place of the maple syrup? I’m allergic to maple. Thanks.
Hi, I think that would work! Let me know how it goes!