Easy vegan French toast that’s made with perfectly golden ciabatta bread and topped with fresh fruit. Have this egg-free, cinnamon infused breakfast ready on your table in 10 minutes!
How to make vegan French toast
This basic vegan French toast recipe is incredibly delicious and satisfying. It’s exactly what every Sunday morning needs.
- Prepare a non-stick pan with non-stick spray or vegan butter and turn on medium heat.
- While your pan heats up, whisk together all your ingredients (besides the bread of course).
- Dip a slice of bread into the mixture, flip and coat both sides and then place into the hot pan.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Immediately serve with fruit and syrup.
HOW LONG DO YOU SOAK BREAD FOR FRENCH TOAST?
If you are using a crusty bread (I highly recommend) like sourdough or ciabatta, dip your bread until it’s completed covered on both sides, about 10 seconds per side. If you are not using a crusty bread, you may want to consider a shorter soak.
VEGAN FRENCH TOAST EGG REPLACER
There’s a few ways to replace the egg in the traditional breakfast recipe but my favorite way to make a basic vegan French toast is to use a combination of flax meal, tapioca starch and baking powder to create the eggy texture.
That eggy, custardy, crispy but tender texture is what makes French toast, French toast for me!
More Unique French Toast Recipes
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT STUFFED FRENCH TOAST – VCT COOKBOOK
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan French toast and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
The Best French Toast Recipe Made Vegan
- 1 cup almond milk or plant milk of choice
- 1 tbsp ground flax meal
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour (starch)
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 8-10 slices of crusty bread ciabatta or sourdough
- fresh fruit
- toasted slivered almonds
- maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- Whisk together the milk, flax, tapioca flour, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and baking powder until smooth.
- Prepare a skillet with non-stick spray and turn on medium heat. Take a slice of bread and submerge it in the mixture, let the excess drip off and then place into the hot skillet.
- Cook each side of the bread for 2-3 mintues or until golden brown. Repeat until you have used all the bread and mixture.
- Serve immediately with toppings.