Super soft and thick vegan sugar cookies are perfect for cutting out and decorating with royal icing. These cookies are the absolute best and will make the holidays extra special. These cookies made a perfect addition to my cookie box this year!
VEGAN SUGAR COOKIES
Last year I made the best gluten free vegan sugar cookies with buttercream frosting and I’ve been dying to make them for the holidays with a royal icing–perfect for a cookie box.
Can you believe these cute little cookies are totally gluten free and vegan all while still being full of holiday cheer!?
- How long does it take to make the cookies? These cookies need zero chill time and bake in just 12 minutes!
- How long will these cookies stay good for? These cookies taste best if stored in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months or better yet, freeze the dough until ready to use!
- Can I use any brand of gluten free flour? Absolutely, but make sure your brand is an all purpose gluten free flour. You can’t use just almond flour or coconut flour, it must be an all purpose gluten free flour mix.
- Where can I get vegan meringue powder? I got mine from Vorfoods.com. You can also use aquafaba. I’ve seen plenty of recipes on Pinterest for it.
SHARING ALL MY FAVORITE COOKIE RECIPES!
I think it’s safe to say that the holidays are a popular time of year for baking, especially cookies!
So I thought sharing some of my favorite holiday inspired cookies recipes would be appropriate.
I know you will love them as much as I do!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan sugar cookies and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you may have.
Vegan Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
- 1/2 cup vegan butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp almond paste or extract
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free baking flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3-5 tbsp almond milk
- 3 tbsp vegan meringue powder
- 4 cups organic powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp water separated
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- vegan food coloring as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, beat the room temperature butter and sugars using a handheld mixer on high until light and fluffy.
- Add in the paste and continue mixing until combined. In another bowl, stir together the gluten free baking flour, tapioca flour and baking soda until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a dry dough forms. Add in the almond milk one tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.
- Roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper until it's 1/4 inch in thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Bake for 7-10 minutes or just starting to turn golden. For super soft cookies, don't over bake.
- Using a clean bowl and a handheld mixer, mix together the vegan meringue powder, powdered sugar and 1/4 cup water until well combined.
- Add in the more water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach a "flood" icing consistency. Remove half of the icing and place it into a plastic zip bag. Distribute the remaining icing into small containers and add coloring to make desired colors and then transfer to plastic zip bags. Cut the corners of the bags and decorate cookies.