Soft, tender and absolutely delicious, these lemon blackberry scones make for a perfect breakfast or afternoon snack. Made gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free, these scones will literally melt in your mouth.
Scones are such an underrated breakfast treat–one that I don’t appreciate enough myself. And trying to make them gluten free and dairy free (and still taste good) is hard! But this recipe does not disappoint. These scones are so delicious, tender and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea
What you need to make these blackberry scones
This gluten free recipe is so simple to make and comes together rather quickly. The best part about these scones (besides the fact that they are delicious) is that they keep for about five days.
I like to loosely cover mine and place them in the refrigerator until I’m ready to eat and then I take one out and microwave it for about 20 seconds.
You could also freeze these scones and defrost one every time you have a craving or keep them losing covered on the counter at room temperature for 2-3 days.
So here’s what you need to make these scones…
- gluten free rolled oats
- gluten free all purpose baking flour
- coconut sugar
- baking powder
- almond milk or plant milk
- lemon juice and zest
- vanilla extract
- vegan butter, melted
- blackberries, fresh
- powdered sugar or powdered erythritol for refined sugar free
A few substitutions
For the gluten free baking flour, you can substitute oat flour but be sure to add about 1 tsp xanthan gum.
For the coconut sugar, you can replace this with any granulated sugar such as cane sugar, maple sugar or Truvia.
For the vegan butter, you can replace this with real butter if not dairy free.
can’t get enough gluten free desserts?
I hear ya! These blackberry scones are quickly becoming one of my favorites and if you like this recipe than you will love these gluten free oat recipes:
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
Subscribe to get the free eBook now!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some healthy desserts and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Lemon Blackberry Oat Scones
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free baking flour 1:1
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 cup vegan butter melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup blackberry sliced
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or powdered erythritol for refined sugar free
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven 425 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the oats, flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt into a the bowl of a stand alone mixer (or a large mixing bowl) and use the paddle attachment to mix until combined.
- In bowl, add the lemon juice, zest, almond milk and whisk until combined. Add in the egg, melted and cooled butter and vanilla and conintue whisking until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until a dough forms. It will seem a little wet at first but let the dough rest for 2-3 minutes and it will soak up some of the moisture. Fold in the blackberries.
- Roll the dough into a ball and then flatten into a disc. You can sprinkle some extra flour if the dough is too sticky. Cut out 6 evenly sized scones and place them on the baking sheet. Bake them for 12-15 minutes and golden brown.
- Stir together the glaze ingredients and drizzle over warm scones and serve.