Soft and fluffy vegan caramel apple cinnamon rolls filled with caramel sauce, granny smith apples and Florida Crystals®. You can prep these rolls the night before, refrigerate them and then quickly pop them in the oven on Christmas morning for the ultimate holiday treat!
Baking season is in full swing, friends! Can you believe that Christmas is just a couple days away?
Bring it on! I don’t have all my recipes planned out yet but there’s one thing I know for sure, I’m definitely making these vegan caramel apple cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning!
What you need to make these vegan caramel apple cinnamon rolls
Let’s talk sugar! In this recipe, I used three different kinds of sugar to achieve the most delicious and tender vegan caramel apple cinnamon rolls. I used Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar, Organic Brown Raw Cane Sugar and Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar.
Florida Crystals® is perfect for vegan baking because it’s 100% organic (yay!) and grown at a sustainable farm in the United States which is why I feel so good about using their sugar in my recipes.
Organic Raw Cane Sugar is made from pure sun-sweetened sugar cane. They are the only source for organic cane sugar grown and harvested in the USA, produced in accordance with the USDA’s National Organic Program and certified organic by Quality Assurance International.
Win a Florida Crystals® Holiday Baking Box
Florida Crystals® is giving one lucky winner their own baking box! To enter, just head over to my Instagram post and follow the directions to be entered! Good luck!
To start these caramel apple cinnamon rolls, first start by making your caramel. You can do this up to a week in advance! I like to make caramel by placing a can of sweetened condensed coconut milk (lid removed and replaced with tin foil) into the bottom of my instant pot, fill it with water until it reaches halfway up the can and then pressure cook it for 40 minutes. Boom, caramel sauce! You can also make this on a stove top in a pot with simmering water but it will take you about 3 hours.
Next, I prepared my dough. I placed my instant yeast, two cups of flour, cane sugar and salt into a bowl of a stand alone mixer and stir everything together before adding in the milk and melted butter. Once the liquids were added, I quickly whisked the ingredients together until they were smooth. This next part, I added the dough hook attachment to my mixer and turned the machine on low speed while I added the remaining flour just until the dough started to come together. Then I covered and let it rest in warm spot while I got my filling ingredients together.
I measured out the organic brown cane sugar and cinnamon and got them ready along with my chopped apple and pre-made caramel sauce. I then lined a clean surface with parchment paper and gave it a good dusting of flour before rolling out the dough into a large rectangle. Next, I spread a thin layer of butter over the dough and left about a half inch around the corners before sprinkling with with the organic brown raw cane sugar and cinnamon. Atop that I added the apple pieces and drizzle about 1/2 cup of caramel before tightly rolling up the into a log and cutting the log into 10 evenly sized pieces.
Once I let the caramel apple cinnamon rolls rise and bake, I quickly whisk together the organic powdered raw cane sugar and almond milk and drizzled it over the warm rolls. These rolls are seriously heavenly and will be hit on Christmas morning!
can’t get enough holiday recipes?
I hear ya! check out the most popular vegan recipes on the blog! Here are a few of my favorites:
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a cinnamon roll and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Caramel Apple Filling
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegan butter room temperature
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 granny smith apple cored and chopped
- 4 – 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour divided
- 1 packet instant rise yeast
- 1/4 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk warm
- 4 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 2 cups Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the filling you will need vegan caramel sauce (you will also reserve some of this for drizzling over the rolls). Pour the contents of the sweetened condensed milk into a glass mason jar and cover tightly with tin foil (do not screw on a lid). Place the jar into pot and fill the pot with water until the water is above the sweetened condensed milk line and then bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer for 3 hours, adding water as needed so it never goes below the milk line. You can prepare this up to one week in advance and store it in the refrigerator. You can also make this the same way in an instant pot in 40 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the flour, yeast, cane sugar and salt to a bowl of a mixer and combine. Once combined, add in the melted butter and warm almond milk and whisk until smooth. Attach a dough or hook attachment and turn on low speed. Slowly add the remaining flour until a dough starts to form. Cover the dough and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Dust a large piece of parchment paper with flour and roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Spread the room temperature butter in a thin layer over the dough leaving about a half inch around the edges. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon over the butter and then top with the apple pieces. Drizzle 1/2 cup of the caramel over the apple pieces and then tightly roll up the dough starting on the wider side. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 10 evenly sized pieces. Place the pieces into a baking dish prepared with parchment paper or non stick sprayabout half inch apart. Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm place OR you can chill the rolls overnight and let them rise in the morning. If making them immediately, I like to turn my oven to 200 F and then turn it off and crack the door and let the rolls rise in there. After 30 minutes, turn the oven to 350 F and bake the rolls for 20-22 minutes.
- Once you pull the rolls from the oven, whisk together the powdered sugar, almond milk and vanilla until you have a smooth glaze. Pour the glaze over the warm rolls and then drizzle with more caramel and serve.
Subscribe to get the free eBook now!