Tangy lemon curd and almond cake are a match made in heaven in this fluffy gluten free vegan dessert. Enjoy this lemon curd cake for breakfast or brunch paired perfectly with tea or coffee.
What makes this lemon curd cake so amazing?
I know I say this every single time I post a new dessert but this is the best vegan cake I’ve ever made or eaten. It wins all the categories: fluffy and moist; sweet but tangy; and easy to make.
Not to mention that this lemon curd cake is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and vegan makes it the best cake ever, right?
And this cake just happens to be super easy to make:
- Make the curd (I promise it’s easier than you think!)
- Make the cake.
- Drop spoonfuls of curd over the batter and swirl them together.
- Bake and serve!
Can you use store bought lemon curd?
Have you ever wondered what you could do with a jar of lemon curd? I use to wonder this too until I realized that the answer is um…everything. You can seriously add lemon curd to just about anything you can think of: cake; scones; parfaits; toast; biscuits–the list can go on and on.
I have a hard time finding store bought lemon curd so I usually make it from scratch and it’s so much easier than you think. If you have 5 minutes to throw some ingredients into a pot and stir it, you can make your own vegan curd–it’s that easy!
But if you have a jar you want to use up, store bought works just fine. 🙂
Does this lemon curd cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, I recommend refrigerating this cake if it’s not going to be consumed within 24 hours. The curd can be made in advance and refrigerated.
Can’t get enough lemon recipes? I hear ya! Check out some of my favorite lemon recipes on the blog:
Easy Vegan Lemon Muffins with Poppy Seeds
Vegan Wild Lemon Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a slice of this vegan lemon curd cake and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Lemon Curd Almond Cake
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk I used reduced fat but full fat will also work
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice about 1 lemon
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp plant butter or coconut oil
- pinch turmeric for color (can omit)
Lemon Curd Almond Cake
- juice and zest from 2 lemons about 1/3 cup juice
- 1 cup almond milk or non dairy milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 tsp almond paste or extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 cup gluten free baking flour (1:1) or all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
Vegan Lemon Curd
- Place all the ingredients into a pot over medium-high heat. Whisk until thick, about 4-5 minutes. Watch carefully that the mixture doesn't boil. If it feels too hot, reduce the heat to medium-low. Remove from heat and let cool while you prepare your cake.
Lemon Curd Almond Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick spray and parchment paper at the bottom for easy removal. In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, almond milk, coconut oil, almond and vanilla paste. In another bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until the batter comes together.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and drop the lemon curd in dollops on top of the batter and use a knife to swirl them togeher. *Reserve a little bit of the curd for topping before serving if desired. Bake for 35-45 minutes and toothpick comes out clean when insterted into the center.
- Let cool completely before cutting into slices and serving.
So moist and lemony! It’s almost the texture of a pudding cake. My family loved it. Just the thing to feel Spring is in air .
This cake was easy and very good! I was especially surprised by how quick it was to make the vegan lemon curd. I kept it gluten free for a family member but I think I’ll make it with all purpose flour next time. Definitely will be making again!
This cake is SO GOOD. You should definitely make it. I didn’t have almond extract so I left it out and it still turned out great. This is my new ‘works for every occasion’ cake. Yum! It was so simple to make and it is so, so delicious. I made it for dessert for my Easter lunch (my sister is allergic to dairy, corn and gluten) and it got rave reviews all around 🙂
This cake is so good! I was a little intimidated by the curd but it was so easy and truly delicious. Everyone should try making this cake 🙂
I’m so happy to hear that this was so easy and delicious for you! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know <3
[…] Lemon Curd Cake Gluten Free […]
[…] Lemon Curd Cake Vegan and Gluten Free | Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate […]
Hi! I want to make this cake (it looks delicious!!! & I have LOTS of lemon curd already made up) so I was wondering how much lemon curd in quantities to mix with the cake mixture before baking?
I didn’t measure exactly how much the curd made but I would guess about a half cup 🙂 I would love to hear how yours turns out!
[…] 9. Lemon Curd Almond Cake Vegan & Gluten-Free […]