Tangy lemon curd and almond cake are a match made in heaven in this fluffy gluten free vegan dessert. Enjoy this lemon curd cake for breakfast or brunch paired perfectly with tea or coffee.
What makes this lemon curd cake so amazing?
I know I say this every single time I post a new dessert but this is the best vegan cake I’ve ever made or eaten. It wins all the categories: fluffy and moist; sweet but tangy; and easy to make.
Not to mention that this lemon curd cake is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and vegan makes it the best cake ever, right?
And this cake just happens to be super easy to make:
- Make the curd (I promise it’s easier than you think!)
- Make the cake.
- Drop spoonfuls of curd over the batter and swirl them together.
- Bake and serve!
Can you use store bought lemon curd?
Have you ever wondered what you could do with a jar of lemon curd? I use to wonder this too until I realized that the answer is um…everything. You can seriously add lemon curd to just about anything you can think of: cake; scones; parfaits; toast; biscuits–the list can go on and on.
I have a hard time finding store bought lemon curd so I usually make it from scratch and it’s so much easier than you think. If you have 5 minutes to throw some ingredients into a pot and stir it, you can make your own vegan curd–it’s that easy!
But if you have a jar you want to use up, store bought works just fine. 🙂
Does this lemon curd cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, I recommend refrigerating this cake if it’s not going to be consumed within 24 hours. The curd can be made in advance and refrigerated.
Can’t get enough lemon recipes? I hear ya! Check out some of my favorite lemon recipes on the blog:
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a slice of this vegan lemon curd cake and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Vegan Lemon Curd Almond Cake
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk I used reduced fat but full fat will also work
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice about 1 lemon
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp plant butter or coconut oil
- pinch turmeric for color (can omit)
Lemon Curd Almond Cake
- juice and zest from 2 lemons about 1/3 cup juice
- 1 cup almond milk or non dairy milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 tsp almond paste or extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 cup gluten free baking flour (1:1) or all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
Vegan Lemon Curd
- Place all the ingredients into a pot over medium-high heat. Whisk until thick, about 4-5 minutes. Watch carefully that the mixture doesn't boil. If it feels too hot, reduce the heat to medium-low. Remove from heat and let cool while you prepare your cake.
Lemon Curd Almond Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick spray and parchment paper at the bottom for easy removal. In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, almond milk, coconut oil, almond and vanilla paste. In another bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until the batter comes together.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and drop the lemon curd in dollops on top of the batter and use a knife to swirl them togeher. *Reserve a little bit of the curd for topping before serving if desired. Bake for 35-45 minutes and toothpick comes out clean when insterted into the center.
- Let cool completely before cutting into slices and serving.