These tender lemon poppy seed scones are bursting with bright lemon flavor and drizzled with a sweet glaze. Lemon lovers rejoice because these cute little breakfast cookies are made gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or a sweet snack!
Who remembers my Roasted Strawberry Oat Scones with Chocolate Chunks recipe? Those tasty little scones went viral and for good reason–they are absolutely delicious. This week I took that recipe and modified it a bit to make a most tender gluten free lemon poppy seed scones that ever existed!
What you need to make these lemon poppy seed scones
These scones (or cookies) come together rather quickly and you don’t need any special mixer to make them. Dry ingredients, wet ingredients, then mix them together. Your batter will be very thick and wet and that’s totally fine! I used a large cookie scooper to scoop them into balls and then I shaped them in my hand before plopping them on the baking sheet. So simple!
- gluten free rolled oats
- gluten free all purpose baking flour (I used 1:1)
- Truvia or Swerve (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- poppy seeds
- salted vegan butter or regular if not diary free, melted
- almond milk
- lemon juice and zest
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- powdered erythritol or powdered sweetener of choice
Love Lemon? Me too. I listed some of my favorite lemon recipes below
I hope you loved this recipe! If you did, be sure to leave a comment here on the blog or reach out to me on Instagram. I love hearing from you and seeing your creations!
Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free baking flour all purpose
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener Truvia also works
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter melted and slightly cooled
for the glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, stir together the lemon juice and almond milk and then set it aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sweetener, baking powder, poppy seeds and zest until combined.
- Add the egg and dairy free butter to the milk mixture and whisk until combined. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula until a dough begins to form. Shape the dough into a disc about 1 1/2 inch in thickness and use a glass to cut out 6-8 round scones. Ultimately, you can shape these by hand if needed. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cool. Once cooled, stir together the glaze ingredients and drizzle over scones before serving.