These tender lemon poppy seed scones are bursting with bright lemon flavor and drizzled with a sweet glaze. Lemon lovers rejoice because these cute little breakfast cookies are made gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or a sweet snack!
Who remembers my Roasted Strawberry Oat Scones with Chocolate Chunks recipe? Those tasty little scones went viral and for good reason–they are absolutely delicious. This week I took that recipe and modified it a bit to make a most tender gluten free lemon poppy seed scones that ever existed!
What you need to make these lemon poppy seed scones
These scones (or cookies) come together rather quickly and you don’t need any special mixer to make them. Dry ingredients, wet ingredients, then mix them together. Your batter will be very thick and wet and that’s totally fine! I used a large cookie scooper to scoop them into balls and then I shaped them in my hand before plopping them on the baking sheet. So simple!
- gluten free rolled oats
- gluten free all purpose baking flour (I used 1:1)
- Truvia or Swerve (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- poppy seeds
- salted vegan butter or regular if not diary free, melted
- almond milk
- lemon juice and zest
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- powdered erythritol or powdered sweetener of choice
Love Lemon? Me too. I listed some of my favorite lemon recipes below
I hope you loved this recipe! If you did, be sure to leave a comment here on the blog or reach out to me on Instagram. I love hearing from you and seeing your creations!
Roasted Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Scones
- 2 tbsp granulated sweetener
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free baking flour 1:1
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener I used Truvia
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 cup melted and cooled dairy free butter or real butter if not dairy free
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chocolate bar (sugar free & dairy free) chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol Swerve
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- First start by preparing your roasted strawberries. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scatter strawberry slices. Sprinkle with sweetener and roast for 25-30 minutes at 350 F. Remove and let cool.
- Increase heat to 425 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.In a mixing bowl, stir together the gluten free flour, oats, granulated sweetener, baking powder and chocolate chips or pieces.
- In another bowl, stir together the melted butter, milk, lemon juice, vanilla and egg and whisk until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until a dough forms. Carefully fold in the roasted strawberries and be sure to not over mix.Roll the dough into a ball and then flatten into a disc. Use a round cookie cutter (about 2 inches) or a glass to cut out circles. Repeat until you have used all the dough.
- Place scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir together the glaze and drizzle over warm scones and serve.