Soft, thick gluten free sugar cookie bars topped with a buttercream frosting and loads of sprinkles. These melt-in-your mouth bars are made gluten free and vegan–and you would never know the difference!
What you need to make these gluten free sugar cookie bars
My birthday is on Tuesday so I wanted to make myself a little something to celebrate and I figured birthday cake bars would be perfect. Instead of cake though, I decided on cookies. These super soft sugar cookie bars are the only way I want to celebrate my birthday from now on because they weren’t just super simple to make but they took me less than an hour from start to devour!
I baked these cookie bars gluten free and vegan so as many people could enjoy them as possible. In these cookies, I used a gluten free baking flour (an all purpose 1:1 like Bob’s) but you could also use regular all purpose flour if they don’t need to be gluten free. For the butter, I used a vegan brand and honestly you can’t tell a difference but you can sub real butter if desired.
So now that we got that out of the way, here’s what you need…
- vegan butter at room temperature (or regular if that’s your thing)
- organic cane sugar (I used Florida Crystals)
- organic brown sugar (I used Florida Crystals)
- gluten free baking flour or regular flour if that’s your thing
- tapioca flour (I used Bob’s)
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- almond milk
for the frosting:
- vegan butter at room temperature (or regular)
- organic powdered sugar (I used Florida crystals)
- almond milk
- red food coloring
- all the sprinkles!
can’t get enough gluten free desserts?
I hear ya! These gluten free sugar cookie bars are quickly becoming one of my favorites and if you like this recipe than you will love these gluten free dessert recipes:
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
Subscribe to get the free eBook now!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a slice of these sugar cookie bars and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or regular room temperature
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purporse gluten free baking flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- 1/4 cup vegan butter room temperature
- 3-4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1-2 drops red food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, beat the room temperature butter, cane sugar and brown sugar with a handheld mixer on high until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and continue mixing until combined.In another bowl, stir together the gluten free baking flour, tapioca flour and baking soda until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a dry dough forms. Add in the almond milk one tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together. Fold in the sprinkles.Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake for 18-22 mintues and golden brown. Let cool.
- In a bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add in half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add in the almond milk and then the remaining powdered sugar and continue mixing until the frosting comes together. Add in food coloring if desired. Spread the frosting over the sugar cookie and finish with sprinkles. Cut into bars and serve. Cover and chill bars when not serving.