Healthy Gluten Free Marble Cake is moist and soft banana bread swirled with ribbons of chocolate banana cake–a perfect way to use up those overly ripe bananas. Gluten free and dairy free for a delicious healthy dessert.
what you need to make this healthy gluten free marble cake
Can you believe that this banana bread is totally gluten free and diary free?
I know, it’s hard to believe but take a look at these ingredients you need to make this healthy gluten free marble cake…
- overly ripe banans
- unsweetened applesauce
- eggs at room temperature
- coconut oil
- almond milk
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar (coconut sugar will also work here)
- gluten free baking flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- sea salt
- unsweetened cocoa powder
For this recipe, I made the classic banana bread first and then separated the batter into two evenly sized portions. From there I added the cocoa powder, more applesauce and milk to one of the batters.
The secret to getting perfect zebra-like layers is to spread the batter out using the back of spoon each time you add a new layer. The outcome will be a perfect gluten free marble cake.
can’t get enough gluten free desserts?
I hear ya! This gluten free banana is quickly becoming one of my favorites and if you like this recipe than you will love these gluten free dessert recipes:
Here is the complete list of healthy dessert recipes on this site – enjoy!
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a slice of this healthy banana bread and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Gluten Free Marble Cake Banana Bread
- 3 overly ripe bananas (1 cup mashed) small-medium size
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk room temperature
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed or coconut sugar
- 2 cups gluten free baking flour 1:1
- 1 tsp baking power
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
for the chocolate layer
- 1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp unsweetend applesauce
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a loaf pan with non-stick spray and parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork to mash the bananas and then add in the applesauce, milk, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar and whisk until smooth and well combined. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and then add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until a batter forms.
- Remove half of the batter and place it into a bowl. Add in the chocolate layer ingredients to one of the bowls and mix until well combined. Add about 1/4 cup of the classic banana bread batter to the bottom of the loaf pan and use a spoon to smooth it out into an even layer. Top that layer with 1/4 cup of the chocolate batter and then carefully smooth the chocolate layer using a spoon. Repeat these layers until you have used all the batter.
- Bake the loaf cake for 45 minutes – 1 hour and tooth pick comes out clean. I covered mine with tin foil after about 45 minutes to keep the top from darkening too much.
Subscribe to get the free eBook now!