Super moist and soft Funfetti Vegan Birthday Cake is layered with sweet vegan buttercream and loaded with sprinkles. Learn how to make your own birthday cake from scratch with this recipe video.
I don’t know about you but I just simply can’t eat a cake without sprinkles which is why my first vegan cake recipe on this blog had to be a funfetti one!
Time to celebrate with cake for breakfast!
As you may have noticed I love using sprinkles when I’m baking. The little pops of color are so fun and make any treat feel celebratory. It’s the little things, right?
Easy Vegan Birthday Cake
Can we chat about cake baking for a moment? So baking a cake can often seem intimidating for new bakers and it doesn’t have to be!
To keep things simple, this cake is made in just one bowl so even the newest of bakers feel confident baking it.
The trick to a fluffy and light vegan cake is to not over mix the batter which is why I like to use a wooden spoon as opposed to an electric mixer. Give the batter a few stirs just until no spots remain.
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a slice of this vegan birthday cake and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Soft and Moist Funfetti Vegan Birthday Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour or corn starch
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup multi colored sprinkles vegan
- 1 cup almond milk or plant milk of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or coconut oil* see notes
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter room temperature
- 3-4 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk room temperature
- multi colored sprinkles for topping vegan
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and prepare two 6" round pans with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper at the bottom for easy removal of the cakes.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flours, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sprinkles and stir until combined. Add in the almond milk, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla paste or extract.
- Stir just until the batter comes together and no dry spots remain. Be sure to stir from the bottom up to evenly incorporate all the ingredients. Distribute the batter evenly between the two pans and bake for 30-40 minutes and the cake is cooked through. Let the cakes cool for 15 minutes before removing them from the pans.
- For the forsting, use a handheld mixer to cream the vegan butter until light and fluffy. Add in 1 cup of the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add in the vanilla and almond milk and continue mixing until smooth. Add in the remaining powdered sugar until you reach a smooth and pliable consistency.
- Decorate your cake and enjoy!