Just like the traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe, these classic vegan chocolate chip cookies have chewy centers, crispy edges and are loaded with chocolate that’s guaranteed to satisfy any craving.
This might be the first time I’ve used an all purpose flour on this blog but as I mentioned before, I am not gluten or refined sugar free but prefer it when I have the choice. Friday night I had a serious cookie craving and was inspired to create something new but… I really just wanted a chocolate chip cookie. Like a classic chocolate chip cookie so I made these vegan chocolate chip cookies and they did not disappoint.
Vegan cookies have all the same properties as its traditional non-vegan version like crispy edges and chewy filled centers. All the things you love about chocolate chip cookies wrapped up into one vegan recipe! Yes, this recipe has sugar. Yes, this recipe contains flour (I’m sorry for all my gluten intolerant friends please refer to this gluten free chocolate chip recipe) but sometimes you need a little sugar and carbs, well at least I do!
One step that’s missing from these chocolate chip cookies that you would normally find in its traditional counterpart is the chilling time. For this recipe, there is no chilling time required! YAY! They bake perfectly right after mixing! Another bonus: eating the cookie dough is 100% safe because vegan, remember?
If you love these vegan chocolate chip cookies, you will love these popular cookie recipes
- Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies with Salted Caramel made gluten free
- Life Changing Peanut Butter Cookies made gluten and dairy free
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies AKA Oreos made gluten and dairy free
Don’t miss out on recipes because you aren’t signed up to have them delivered right to your inbox. Get recipes sent directly to you along with exclusive first notices about giveaways and other news.
Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour organic if possible
- 1/3 cup brown sugar organic if possible
- 1/4 cup white sugar organic if possible
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp flax meal
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 vegan chocolate bar chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.In a small bowl, stir together the flax meal and the water and set aside. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, chocolate chips and half of the chopped chocolate bar and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the butter until light and whipped. Add in the brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy and then beat for another 30 seconds for good measure. Add in the flax meal until incorporated. Finally fold in the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to incorporate just until no dry spots remain. Try not to over mix.
- Use a 1 1/2 inch cookie scooper to drop cookie mounds onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until the edges start to brown. Don’t over bake.
- Remove from oven and immediately stick chopped pieces of chocolate into the tops of the cookies. I like to insert them into the cracks if they form. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to continue cooling before serving.