The best vegan lemon tart with a simple and flaky gluten-free crust just in time for summer. This luscious lemon curd filled tart is so easy-to-make and uses minimal ingredients – a perfect way to use up those lemons!
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE CRUST
This gluten-free crust is my favorite and I whip it up every chance I get. Here’s how to make it:
- Place the flour, sugar, salt, and vegan butter into a food processor and pulse until the butter is in small pieces.
- While pulsing, add your water just until the dough starts to come together in larger clumps. You don’t want to over mix or add too much water. You will know the crust is ready when you can press two crumbles together and they stick. *If you don’t have a food processor, you could do this in a large bowl using a pie cutter.
- Press the crumbles into the bottom and up the sides of your tart pan. I like to use the bottom of a measuring cup to really pack it in.
- Cover your crust with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or you could use rice. Bake your crust for about 15 minutes. Remove the pie weights and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes and golden brown.
DOES THIS VEGAN LEMON TART NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
I like to make this vegan lemon tart for a crowd the morning I plan to serve it but it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Be sure to cover it completely with plastic wrap or place it in an air-tight container.
Can’t get enough lemon recipes? I hear ya! Check out some of my favorite lemon recipes on the blog:
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a vegan lemon tart and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
The Best Vegan Lemon Tart
- 3 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup vegan butter chilled
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp organic cane sugar
- ¼-⅓ cup cold water
- 1 ⅓ cup coconut milk full fat, canned
- 1 ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1 pinch turmeric optional for color
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 9-inch tart pan with non-stick spray.
- For the crust, place the flour, butter, sugar and salt into a food processor and pulse 3-4 times. Add in the water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing between each addition until mixture is crumbly and sticks together when pressed between your fingers.
- Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to pack it tightly. Place a piece parchment paper over the crust and fill it pie weights or rice. Bake the crust fo 15 minutes. Remove the pie weights and parchment paper and return to the over for an additional 10-15 minutes and golden brown. Let cool.
- Place all the filling ingredients (except the turmeric) into a pot over medium-high heat. Whisk until the curd is thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes. Watch carefully that the mixture doesn't boil. If it feels too hot, reduce the heat to medium-low. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lemon filling to the crust and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Dust with organic powdered sugar if desired.