If you are looking for the ultimate cookie for your cookie box this year, look no further because these vegan chocolate shortbread cookies taste like homemade Milano cookies–only better! Rich dark chocolate sandwiched between two buttery shortbread cookies tossed in sweet sugar crystals for the most decadent and simple Holiday cookie.
I’m obsessed with shortbread cookie recipes!
These melt-in-your-mouth sandwich cookies were inspired by favorite shortbread cookie recipe: Peppermint Marshmallow Topped Shortbread Cookies.
Ingredients for chocolate shortbread cookies
- gluten free all purpose baking flour – I used King Arthur measure for measure gluten free baking flour but any all purpose or 1:1 gluten free baking flour will work as long as it contains xanthan gum.
- organic powdered sugar and organic cane sugar– sugars provide not just the sweetness of the cookie but the overall texture as well.
- vegan butter – I like to use vegan butter in stick form when baking so brands such as Earth balance and Melt are best
- vanilla extract – vanilla will enhance the flavor of the cookie – the more the better in my opinion 😉
- vegan dark or semi sweet chocolate chips – I like darker chocolate because they aren’t as sweet and provide a richer flavor but you do you!
- coconut oil – the oil will keep the chocolate a tad softer once it hardens.
- salt – salt enhances the flavors of the cookie
That’s it! Such simple ingredients, right? Now let’s get to baking.
Commonly Asked Questions
If you plan to eat these cookies within a few days, you can store them at room temperature in a lightly covered container or freeze for up to three months.
The sugar and texture are the main difference that I notice. A sugar cookie is much sweetener and requires a higher sugar ratio whereas a shortbread cookie, the butter flavors are more prominent and less sugar is used. I’ve also noticed that a sugar cookie is more chewy and the shortbread cookie is more crumbly.
I always melt my chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler. Adding a neutral oil like coconut oil will help to melt and thin out the chocolate. For the best results, stop and stir the chocolate in 15 second increments until melted and smooth.
If you loved these sandwich cookies…
You are going to love some of my favorite chewy cookie recipes on the blog:
Chocolate Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
- hand mixer or stand alone mixer
- Mixing bowls
- ½ cup vegan butter softened
- ⅓ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose baking flour measure for measure
- ⅛ tsp finely ground salt
- ½ cup organic cane sugar for coating
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or semi sweet vegan
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F° and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy using a handheld mixer. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy and then mix in the vanilla. Finally add in the flour and salt and continue to mix until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough on a clean surface until it's roughly ⅛ inch in thickness. Use a round cookie cutter to make 24 evenly sized cookies. Transfer the cookies to the baking sheets and bake for 9-10 minutes. Add the sugar to a mixing bowl and once the cookies have cooled enough to handle, toss each one in the sugar to coat evenly.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a microwave safe bowl in 15-second increments, stirring between each until smooth. Drop about 1 tablespoon of chocolate into the center of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies to create a sandwich. Let sit at room temperature until the chocolate hardens or place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes for chocolate to harden.