These tender and sweet roasted strawberry scones will melt in your mouth with every bite. Loaded with chopped dark chocolate and topped with a sweet glaze, these scones are made gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free for a sweet and simple breakfast.
HOW TO MAKE MOIST STRAWBERRY SCONES
In just thirty minutes, you could be enjoying these tender warm strawberry oat scones, here’s how you make them:
- Pre-heat your oven and stir together your dry ingredients
- In another bowl, stir together your wet ingredients and then add them together, stirring until the dough is crumbly but holds together when pinched between your fingers
- Press the dough into a flax disc (about 1 1/2 inches thick) and cut into 6 evenly sized scones
- Bake the scones for about 15 minutes
- Drizzle with glaze and pecans and serve!
That’s it! So easy, right?
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why do you need xanthan gum in gluten-free baking? You don’t always need it, but most all purpose gluten free baking flours add it to create elasticity in the dough or batter.
What’s the secret to making good scones? For these gluten-free scones in particular, the secret is your oven temperature. I like to bake mine at a higher temperature of 425 F.
SHARING ALL MY FAVORITE SCONE RECIPES!
I think it’s safe to say that scones are a favorite around here and I have quite a few options for you that I know you are going to love.
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some gluten-free strawberry scones and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Roasted Strawberry Oat Scones with Chocolate Chunks
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar or granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 1 ½ cups all purpose gluten-free baking flour
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup organic cane sugar or granulated sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 flax egg or one large egg if not vegan
- ½ cup vegan butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate or chips vegan
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- First start by preparing your roasted strawberries. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scatter strawberry slices. Sprinkle with sugar and roast for 25-30 minutes at 350 F°. Remove and let cool.
- Increase heat to 425 F° and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.In a mixing bowl, stir together the gluten free flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and chocolate chunks.
- In another bowl, stir together the melted butter, almond milk, lemon juice, vanilla and flax egg and whisk until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until a dough forms. Carefully fold in the roasted strawberries and be sure to not over mix.
- Roll the dough into a ball and then flatten into a disc. Use a round cookie cutter (about 2 inches) or a glass to cut out circles. Repeat until you have used all the dough.
- Place scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir together the glaze and drizzle over warm scones and serve.