Giant vegan chocolate chip cookies with crispy edges and chewy centers surrounded by puddles of gooey dark chocolate and finished with a sprinkled of flaked sea salt. Made 100% gluten free and vegan for the most epic cookies that anyone can enjoy.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
With no chill time required, you are less than an hour away from fresh out of the oven cookie.
Here’s what you need to make them–
- ground flax meal
- filtered water
- vegan butter
- organic brown sugar
- organic cane sugar
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vegan chocolate
- finely ground sea salt
- flaky sea salt
Here’s how to make the best gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookies–
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F and in a small bowl, stir together the flax meal and water and then set it aside to gel, about five minutes.
- In another bowl, use a hand held mixer or a stand alone mixer to cream together the vegan butter and sugars. Add in the flax mixture and continue mixing until well combined and then mix in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until the dough comes together but a few bits of flour remain. Add in the chopped chocolate and fold until combined.
- Separate the dough into 10 evenly sized balls and place them on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper about 2″ apart.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes and then remove them from the oven and raise your center rack a few inches. Drop the baking sheets onto the counter from about 4-5″ inches to deflate the cookies. Bake for an additional 6-8 minutes and edges are golden. Remove and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack to continue to cool.
how long do vegan chocolate chip cookies keep?
Once these cookies are baked, they keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days or they can be placed in an airtight freezer-friendly container and frozen for up 3 months.
What is the secret to making soft cookies? My favorite kind of cookie is has soft centers and crispy edges and my secret is to under bake them! This also works for fudgy brownies.
How many calories are in vegan chocolate chip cookies? Yes! I like to store mine in the freezer and then let it come to room temperature before serving. The caramel will soften as it comes to room temperature.
MORE EASY VEGAN RECIPES
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan chocolate chip cookies and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you may have.
Giant Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- hand mixer or stand alone mixer
- Mixing bowls
- 1 tbsp ground flax meal
- 3 tbsp filtered water
- ½ cup vegan butter room temperature
- ½ cup organic brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour spooned and leveled
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp finely ground sea salt
- 12 oz chopped ESC Chocolate vegan chocolate
- flaky sea salt
- Be sure your oven rack is centered in the oven, preheat to 350 F° and prepare two baking sheets with pachment paper.
- In a bowl, stir together the flax meal and water and then set it aside to gel, about five minutes. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter using a handheld mixer until light and fluffy and then add in the brown sugar and cane sugar and continue beating until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add in the flax mixture and vanilla and stir until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and then add half of it to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms and no dry spots remain, about 30 seconds. Add in the chopped chocolate bar pieces and mix until combined and evenly distributed.
- Separate the dough into 10 evenly sized balls. Place the balls on the baking sheets about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes and then remove them from the oven and raise your center rack a few inches. Drop the baking sheets onto the counter from about 4-5" inches to deflate the cookies. Bake for an additional 6-8 minutes and edges are golden. Remove and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack to continue to cool.