Blood Orange Glazed Vegan Lemon Loaf Cake with Poppy Seeds is fluffy, moist made with whole wheat in just one bowl. Enjoy this lemon loaf as a snack or dessert–perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning!
Vegan Lemon Loaf Cake Bursting with Poppy Seeds
You guys, this vegan lemon loaf cake is so soft and tender, it will literally just melt in your mouth with every bite!
And can you believe that it’s vegan? I mean, look how fluffy it is!
I made the best Vegan Lemon Muffins with Poppy Seeds a couple of weeks ago and you guys loved them so much (also I loved them so much lol) that I had to make a loaf cake version.
So that’s exactly what I did.
Here’s what you need to make this loaf cake for yourself:
- whole wheat flour (gluten free all purpose flour will also work!)
- organic cane sugar
- poppy seeds
- baking powder
- almond milk or non dairy milk of choice
- applesauce, unsweetened
- coconut oil
- vanilla extract
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
For the glaze I used a mixture of blood orange juice, almond milk and organic powdered sugar. If you don’t have both citrus fruits on hand, you could use just lemon or just blood orange in this recipe.
This whole wheat vegan lemon loaf cake is quickly becoming one of my favorite lemon recipes.
If you love lemon as much as I do, you are going to love these Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls with Lemon and of course I can’t forget my all time favorite Lemon Lavender Tart. And if these still don’t do the trick, my Lemon Poppy Seed Scones definitely will.
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve a slice of this vegan lemon loaf cake and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you have.
Glazed Vegan Lemon Loaf Cake
- 2 cup whole wheat flour or an all purpose gluten free baking flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk or non dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- juice and zest from one lemon about 1/3 cup juice
blood orange glaze
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp blood orange juice
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a loaf pan with non-stick spray and parchment paper for easy removal. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds and salt. Add in the milk, applesauce, coconut oil, vanila, jucie and zest and stir just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes and toothpick comes out clean when insterted into the center.
- Let cool completely before stirring together the glaze and drizzling over the loaf. Enjoy.
I bought a blood orange today and am hoping to make this lemon loaf very soon. You said that this loaf cake keeps well for 4 days at room temperature, and to freeze individual slices if you plan on keeping it longer than that. Why don’t you list the refrigerator as a storage option? Does it throw off the texture?
My glaze didn’t set like yours, but I think that might have been a blessing in disguise 😉
I tried a slice before adding the glaze, and it was fine, but the sticky-moist-sweetness of the glaze really made this cake next level!
I only used about 3/4 of the glaze, which was perfect for my taste- and still dessert-sweet. Overall, I could not believe that this was made with whole wheat flour and will definitely be making it again…. although, I do have my eye on that lemon curd cake…
Almost forgot a rating