Vegan millionaire shortbread bars are a dairy-free and egg-free version of the classic millionaire bars, an easy vegan dessert bar made gluten-free. Three decadent layers of buttery shortbread, chewy sweet caramel and bittersweet chocolate topped with flaky salt.
What are millionaire shortbread bars
Millionaire shortbread bars are also known as a caramel slice or caramel square consisting of three layers: shortbread, caramel and chocolate.
Why is it called millionaire shortbread? With a combination of caramel and chocolate, presumably they are called this because they are so rich.
How to make vegan millionaire shortbread
Don’t get intimidated by the layers, these caramel slices are easy-to-make and come together rather quickly. Here’s what you need to make them–
- vegan butter – I like to use the stick form like Earth Balance
- organic cane sugar
- organic brown sugar – light or dark
- gluten-free all purpose baking flour or 1:1 – I love Outrageous Baking
- vegan sweetened condensed milk
- corn starch
- vegan chocolate or vegan chocolate chips
- coconut oil
- flaky salt
Here’s how to make them millionaire bars with coconut condensed milk–
- Use a hand held mixer to cream together your vegan butter and organic cane sugar and then add in the flour and mix until crumbly. Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8×8 inch pan and bake for 10 minute until golden brown.
- Place the condensed milk, corn starch, brown sugar and butter into a bottom heavy pot over medium-high heat until it reaches 260 F or “hard ball”. Pour the caramel over the crust. Let cool.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together until smooth. Spread evenly over the caramel layer and chill until firm and then remove from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. Cut into evenly sized bars and sprinkle with flaky salt.
Commonly asked questions
How to cut millionaire shortbread? For a smooth cut, I like to run a knife under hot water and then dry with a paper towel. The hot knife with cut through the chocolate smoothly. Wipe the knife clean between each cut.
Can millionaire shortbread be frozen? Yes! I like to store mine in the freezer and then let it come to room temperature before serving. The caramel will soften as it comes to room temperature.
More Easy Vegan Recipes
Vegan Millionaire Shortbread Bars
- hand mixer
- heavy bottom pot
- microwave safe bowl
- ½ cup vegan butter room temperature
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free baking flour or 1:1
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 11oz can coconut sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup organic brown sugar light or dark
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup chopped vegan chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- flaky sea salt for topping
to make the crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 F° and prepare a 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Place the butter and organic cane sugar into a mixing bowl and use a hand held mixer to cream until smooth. Add in the flour and mix until crumbles form.
- Press the crumbles into the bottom of the pan and use a measuring cup to pack it down tightly. *Note* if the crust is sticking to the measuring cup, place a peice of wax paper or parchment paper between it.
- Use a fork to poke holes for air to escape. Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes and golden brown. Remove and let cool.
to make the caramel
- Place the caramel ingredients into a heavy medium sized pot over medium-high heat and stir to combine. Stir frequently and using a candy thermometer, cook until the temperature reaches 260 F° or "hard ball" stage. This process takes about 12-15 mintues.
- Immediately pour the caramel over the crust as it hardens quickly. Cover and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the chocolate.
- Place the chocolate and coconut oil into a heat proof bowl or I like to use a glass measure cup. Cook in the microwave on high until melted. Stop and stir every 20 seconds to ensure you don't burn the chocolate. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and spread it out in an even layer. Return to the refrigerator to chill until chocolate is solid, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the refirgerator and let the bars sit at room temperature for one hour. Remove the bars from the pan and place on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut the bars into 20 evenly slized peices. Top with flaky sea salt.
If you are still reading this far, you definitely deserve some vegan millionaire shortbread bars and if you make this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @peanutbutterpluschocolate on Instagram and check me out on Facebook and Pinterest!
Also, don’t forget to leave me a comment after the recipe card at the bottom. I really love chatting with all of you, hearing about how your recipe turned out and answering any questions you may have.